by scotty319 Investigator
Investigator

Is 4G+ faster on different devices?

Hi there!

I always owned an iPhone 6. I bought a Samsung S8 and loved it. 

However, being too used to iOS, I sent it back, sold my iPhone 6, and instead got an iPhone 7.

I believe that both the Samsung S8 and iPhone 7 have 4G+ capabilities on EE. 

However, is 4G+ faster on different devices?

I am on EE with a 4GEE Max SIM Only plan, so I get 4G+ speeds. 

On the speedtest.net app, I recorded a download speed of around 220Mbps on 4G+ on the Samsung S8 which was amazing. 

In the same location, with the same SIM, at the same time of day, the iPhone 7 has only been recording speeds of 90Mbps. I say "only" - yes, 90Mbps is still incredibly impressive and at the moment, I don't really see the purpose of speeds crazily fast on phones unless you're downloading or using your phone as a Personal Hotspot, but it's so cool really to see how fast EE actually is. 

So since I was in the same location, at the same time of day, using the same SIM... Why was I getting more than double the speed on the Samsung S8 compared to the iPhone 7? 

Is it the Samsung S8 is better at 4G+ ?

If I can be completely honest, I'm quite bored now of the iPhone 7 and iOS and wish I just stuck with the S8. Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Is 4G+ faster on different devices?

Hi, 

Basically yes.

The iPhone 7 is capable of LTE-A (3CA) Cat9 450/50 Mbps and the Galaxy S8 is capable of LTE-A (4CA) Cat16 1024/150 Mbps. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The '4G+' performance capabilities can even vary depending on what firmware is installed onto a device.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

You are not actually going to see much of a difference in real world terms though between those devices or any other device regardless of the category of modem in a handset. 

Where are and when does anybody ever actually reach the kind of top speeds even offered by the iPhone 7 modem, let alone those on the S8 and even if you do, what difference will it make to how you use your handset?

A lot of this 4G+ stuff and is just basically marketing spin churned out by mobile networks and handset manufacturers.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.