by KJT123
Explorer

Intermittent DNS error

I keep getting a DNS error on my mobile data on my Xiaomi Mi Max phone.

<website url> server DNS address could not be found

Then err_name_not_resolved

or

dns_probe_finished_nxdomain

Mobile data is now almost unusable - howvere some websites will work. Google search and Twitter always works but whenever i try and open a different website, it will show the DNS error. It's not just Google Chrome that doesn't work, also apps that require internet access, for example National Rail app. 

Something i have found is that whenever i'm on a train for example, and go through a tunnel, the data tends to work when I come out the other side of the tunnel - and vice versa. 

By the way, in the status bar on my phone it says I always have 4g or H+ signal, yet the internet doesn't work?

I have tried restarting my phone, airplan mode off and on. Sometimes it will fix the problem but it will inevitably come back. 

Any help appreciated. 

11 REPLIES 11
by
EE Employee

Re: Intermittent DNS error

Hi and welcome to the Community @KJT123

It may be worth changing the DNS within the settings to a Google Public DNS to see if this helps.

Let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by KJT123
Explorer

@Lee_H

Thanks for the reply.

Can't find the DNS settings on my Xiaomi phone, so downloaded "DNS Changer" from the Play Store. Presume this is safe? 

by rcr316 Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I am getting exactly the same issue on my s7 edge, using wifi or teathering through a device on another network works perfectly.

However using EE mobile data i get lots of DNS issues, i can load google and perform searches and can load the EE mobile website (excluding the links to amazon argos etc) but thats about it unless i wait up to 30 mins after the device has started its unusable. On some rare occasions its usable instantly on device startup but that is few and far between.

I have tried sticking the device in 3g mode only to see if it was the 4g network causing the issue but the same problem occurs.

I would have liked to of tried using google DNS, however there is no option to change DNS properly as the way to do it would break warranty on the device.

I also have tried a manual network scan which yeilded the same result.

I have been on EE for just over a month now as i was having issues with poor data speed with a competitor so switched. Data was working perfectly for the first week, however following it has been a battle to do anything with mobile data.

Many thanks

Ian

by
EE Employee

Good Morning @rcr316

Welcome to the Community! Smiley Happy

Have you tried re-downloading the Internet settings from the EE Setup pages?

@KJT123

I'll be honest I'm not an Android user so not to sure about the app.

Have you tried entering the APN settings manually? If not can you try entering the details below;

Name Internet

APN everywhere

Proxy Leave Blank

Port Leave Blank

Username Leave Blank

Password Leave Blank

Server Leave Blank

MMSC http://mms/

MMS Proxy 149.254.201.135

MMS Port 8080

MCC 234

MNC 30

Authentication Type PAP

APN Type If you have choices select internet+mms otherwise type in *

Let me know how you both get on!

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by rcr316 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Karen,

I have tried the setup page but i get the same issue, entering the settings you have provided does however work.

I have compaired both settings and have found the ones provided by the setup page you linked and the network settings automatically obtrained when the device is first setup have both a username and password specified.

I do not know what password is specified as its astericked out, however the username is eesecure, do you know why this is? As im sure this would affect other users than just myself.

Regards

Ian

by
EE Employee

Afternoon @rcr316

That's great news!

Is everything working as it should with your data now?

I'm not sure why the tool is still giving the username and password details.

Thanks for flagging this to us - I'm going to feed this back into the team that deals with the tool.

Many Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by rcr316 Investigator
Investigator

@Karen_C it seems to be yes, rebooted the phone and it went straight on without issue. Hopefully this will work for the OP aswell.

Cheers

Ian

by
EE Employee

That's great news!

Thanks for sharing @rcr316

Fingers crossed it does.

Have a lovely evening!

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by
EE Employee

Picture1.png

Hi @rcr316

Thanks for taking the time to help out here in the EE Community.

Because @Karen_C and I loved the troubleshooting you have done in regards the DNS settings, I’d love to treat you to dinner on us.

I’m going to private message you, please reply to that message with your address details so that I can pop a restaurant voucher in the post.

(Don’t reply in this public area as we’ll all be at your door wanting to come along)

Keep up the great work, it’s the people here who make this community a great place to be.

Enjoy your meal out!

Lee

by rcr316 Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Lee_H and @Karen_C

Thank you very much, I have replied to your pm. It's a habit I have from work as I'm an it tech so fault find anything as much as possible lol.

Glad to have helped as it will prevent others from experiencing the same problem in the future 🙂

many thanks

Ian

by
EE Employee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.