08-06-2017 03:43 PM
Hi - I've been on my current pay monthly plan since March 2016, my plan gives me 10GB data a month. Didn't really need anywhere near that much data but it was a really good price so went with it! Previously I was using about 5GB a month.
Havent had any issues up until last month when I got a text to say I'd used 80% of my data allowance. Seemed weird as I never use anywhere near that much but let it pass. However, similar thing has happened this month and I ran out of data yesterday morning. Plan refreshes tomorrow so was planning to do two 24 hour data top ups - purchased one yesterday but got a text about an hour later to say I'd used up 80% of it. Exactly the same thing happened today, purchased a 24 hour top up and it's already run out, only 4 hours later.
I've done a lot of research and I turned off all background app refreshes, non essential apps that don't need to use data, stopped videos autoplaying on Facebook etc but there's clearly something wrong with my data usage monitoring or something eating it all up - especially seems weird as this has only been happening the last couple of months, wasn't using anywhere near this much previously. I want to go in store at some point but wanted to post here in case anyone else has had something similar and has any suggestions?
08-06-2017 04:38 PM
What type of phone have you got? Mine has a data usage section and tells me how much data each app has used for wifi and mobile data.
08-06-2017 04:43 PM
I have an iphone 6s - I've checked the data usage section and I turned off mobile data for everything non essential that looked like it was using a fair bit. Did that yesterday, but topped up with the 24 hour data pack today and it still ran out within 4 hours...
08-06-2017 04:48 PM
@mandysmith91 Have a look at THIS as there is more than just background apps that use data. Also your device doesn’t show or log any data usage for any IADs or the Settings app on your device but the MY EE app does as it logs all data usage.
08-06-2017 04:54 PM
Thanks @Chris_B - I've covered everything off in that list yesterday, unfortunately! I'd be surprised if it's settings or IAD related, as it's only been happening for the last couple of month, no issues before and, to my knowledge, I haven't changed any settings on my phone? I'm not an expert though so could be wrong...
08-06-2017 04:58 PM
You'd know if it was wifi assist as there would be a large data amount next to it, mine says 6.6MB since Sep.
I'd reset Mobile data statistics, then leave it a bit and see if anything starts using data, especially under system services. Check the MyEE app and see what that says, though it can take a while to update.
08-06-2017 05:16 PM
Welcome to the EE Community.
I would take @chistery's advice and reset your mobile data statistics on the day your data refreshes so it gives a truer reflection of what you have used with that months allowance.
It's important to note that actual data used via the mobile network may differ slightly from your phone's accounting.
by max1486 yesterday
by Maisie2 Saturday