by macdui Investigator
Investigator

Inbound traffic being blocked?

Hello - I am trying to set up a 4G router as a failover solution. Outbound traffic is working fine. If I query my external IP address with whatismyip, it reports an IP address that matches the WAN IP address issued by the network to the router. This suggests to me that no NAT translation is occurring. However the router never receives any inbound initiated traffic on any port that I have tried. I contacted EE technical support and they assured me that no inbound initiated traffic blocking happens on any port. A traceroute to the IP address of my router from a separate internet connection traces traffic into EE infrastructure but then times out. This also suggests to me that traffic is not NATted. I am using the everywhere APN.

Can anyone explain why I do not receive inbound initiated traffic?

7 REPLIES 7
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Inbound traffic being blocked?

Good afternoon @macdui

Thanks for coming to see us in community 🙂

What model router are you using?

I'm going to tag in @XRaySpeX to see if he can lend any knowledge on this please?

Thank you

Richard

🙂

by macdui Investigator
Investigator

Hi Richard,

I am using a Sierra Wireless ES440 Gateway, connected to WAN2 on a Draytek router.

Many thanks for your help.

Andrew

by

Hi @macdui

Thank you for coming back to me 🙂

I'm hopeful the information you have kindly provided will help to answer your query when @XRaySpeX is available.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by macdui Investigator
Investigator

To add - for diagnostic purposes I have connected the gateway directly to my laptop and monitored traffic between the two using Wireshark. The gateway is also set to respond to incoming pings over the air, but no responses are received.

Thanks

Andrew

by

Thank you @macdui

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What are the 1st 2 parts of your WAN IP addy?

EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade Nat (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by macdui Investigator
Investigator

The first two parts are 178.110

I checked this and it is visible on the internet. I understood that you used CGNAT but don't understand my observations, which suggest a through route.

Thanks

Andrew

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.