by
EE Community Manager

Improved 4G coverage on the EE Network - 800MHz updates

[ Edited ]

Update 16th December 2016

We’ve now completed our provisioning to provide customer access to our live 800MHz frequency sites. We’ll switch on another 3,000 sites with this low frequency spectrum in 2017, so coverage will keep improving.

If you are an Apple user and update to the latest iOS update it will toggle on 4G Calling, which you’ll need to be able to access 800MHz.

How do I know I’m using the 800MHz signal?

Your phone will show it’s using 4G, but not which frequency you’re connected to. You can also have a look at the EE nework checker and it will show where 4G is available. 

When will my area have access?

We’re rolling it out across the UK – around 700 sites are live now, with another 3,000 to go in 2017. Check out our EE coverage checker to keep up to date with the rollout.

What happens if I’m using 4G across 800MHz and move into an area that doesn’t yet have the access?

You can use the other frequencies in our 4G network, or our 3G and 2G networks.

Who can use 800MHz Spectrum?

EE Consumer and Small Business Pay Monthly Customers On a PAYM or SIMO plan With a 4G Calling Device or a Data Only Device can use this.

If you have any questions tap the reply button below.

Many thanks

Original post  

EE will soon be switching on a new 800MHz frequency 4G signal to improve indoor coverage in half a million homes, plus boost superfast 4G coverage to 75% of the UK geography, benefiting our rural customers.

We switched on 800MHz on 700 sites last night, and the signal is now broadcasting.

However, we now need to switch on customers’ ability to access the new band.

This is being activated in phases and customers with the right device and plan will be able to use the service by 1 December.

There are around 700 sites in this first group, and there are a little over 3,000 more sites with 800 spectrum to be switched on before the end of 2017.

What are the benefits?

800 carries 4G voice and data. The low frequency signal goes further than all our existing 2G, 3G and 4G spectrum, and it’s better at penetrating walls without losing quality. Rolling out 800 means we’ll reach new places, both in rural areas and in buildings.

Who can benefit?

The new spectrum will be available to pay monthly and SIM customers with a 4G calling-capable handset (also known as VoLTE). Check our list of handsets to see if yours applies.

What does it cost?

Accessing the new spectrum doesn’t cost anything. Handsets won’t show a difference, and customers won’t notice anything except getting 4G coverage where they didn’t before.

Why can only some customers access this?

Right now, 4G Calling is only available to monthly contract and SIM customers. It is not available to PAYG customers due to billing complexities. We are working on delivering for PAYG.

We are only allowing customers who have 4G Calling to access 800 because 800 goes further than all our other spectrum and can create areas that are 4G only; if there’s no 2G or 3G to fall back to, then a 4G phone without 4G Calling would see data but would never be able to make or receive a call.

We believe that’s a worse experience for our customers than not seeing the new 4G coverage.

Use our mobile coverage checker to check 2G, 3G and 4G coverage in your area.

See where we are with our ambition to deliver 4G to 95% of the UK land mass by 2020

If you have any questions, please do ask below.

Thanks

393 REPLIES
by
Valued Contributor

Re: Improved 4G coverage on the EE Network - a new 4G signal

The 1st December date seems to differ from your own press release which says 800MHz was switched on today.

Today, EE has also switched on its low frequency 800MHz spectrum on 700 sites across the country...

When will we be able to check 800MHz coverage on the coverage checker?

by
Scholarly Contributor

Hi @TiffJ

The EE press release said the first 700 went live last night? Not the 1st Dec... 

Which is correct?

by
Contributor

your own press release states its been enabled as of last night, I think you need to revisit your info and correct it quickly before misleading more customers.

--
Change is inevitable...except from a vending machine....
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Gigabit,

Good spot – thanks for bringing that to our attention. We’ve now updated the original post.

We switched on 800MHz on 700 sites last night, and the signal is now broadcasting.

However, we now need to switch on customers’ ability to access the new band.

This is being activated in phases and customers with the right device and plan will be able to use the service by 1 December.

Thanks

James

by
Scholarly Contributor

Who came up with this marketing strategy? Was it rushed out for the Christmas orders?

by
Scholarly Contributor

Hi @James_B thanks for the reply. 

So can you confirm that 800 is broadcasting, but no one can use it until the 1st?...

by
Brilliant Contributor

Hey @TiffJ Does this apply to small buisness contracts? 

Thanks 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
by

[ Edited ]

Spot Prize alert.png

@Gigabit – Thanks for taking the time to help out here in the EE Community.

Because I loved the feedback you gave today, I’d love to treat you to dinner on us.

I’m going to private message you – please reply to that message with your address details so that I can pop a restaurant voucher in the post. (Don’t reply in this public area as we’ll all be at your door wanting to come along)

Keep up the great work – it’s the people here who make this community a great place to be – and enjoy your meal out!

James

by

Hi @Mark_,

Yes, it's now broadcasting from 700 sites.

Because it's a phased roll-out, some users will be able to use it before 1st December but not everyone.

By 1st December all eligible users will be enabled.

Thanks

James

by

Hi @Damienw1,

Yes, it's available to our small business users.

Thanks

James

by
EE Community Manager

Thanks @James_B

Enjoy your meal on us @Gigabit Smiley Happy

@Mark_ and @neil - We're feeling the love today and so I think we can send you something too for being just behind Gigabit on picking up that my post needed clarification. Can you please PM me with your names and addresses and I'll arrange for a restaurant voucher to head in your direction too. 

Tiff 

by
Brilliant Contributor

Thanks for that @James_B 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
by
Investigator

@TiffJ @James_B

Good on EE for thanking the guys above properly! When @TiffJ posted the original post - I was sat banging my head against the computer screen going 'well which is it EE'.... frantically trying to remember my login to seek clarification, instead I posted to EE's twitter feed to inform.

EE's 800MHZ rollout feels very rushed however; surely push the carrier update to everyones phones and update the coverage checker and then do a press release?

Seems silly launching the new spectrum when no one other then I guess testers & your tech team can access.

by

Hi @aarong_96,

Welcome back to the Community.

As some customers may notice that they are now connected to 800MHz we wanted to let everyone know in advance.

Thanks

James

by
Investigator

I understand @James_B, however its a little bit like - 'We have launched a new spectrum today....you can't see where its been enabled (just trust us) and nobody can access for a week, but we'll write to the press anyway'.

Ah well, at least we're making slow progress Smiley Happy!

by
Profile closed

Sounds good but shame it's restricted to those with contract Volte handsets.As that is the case I'm not sure how it can be considered an increase in general coverage.

by
Established Contributor

Fantastic news @James_B, just what we have been waiting for.

The only slight downside is the fact that my son on PAYG will likely continue to struggle with indoor coverage, although he uses an iPhone which supports VoLTE and spends a good amount more per month than I do on my contract, becuase PAYG is not supported.

I presume that the billing complexities refers to how data is charged on a prepay basis, although it does seem strange that using VoLTE would affect the way that data usage is logged, from my understanding of how the underlying network functions. That said, if that is the explanation coming from the executive office, then it seems a futile exercise arguing the point, so I will just ask if anyone has a vague idea on how long it will take to iron out these complexities?

Many thanks

by

Hi @Snipe717,

I'm sorry, we don't have an estimated switch on date for 4G calling on EE pay as you go at this time.

As soon as we know, we'll make sure it's announced in the Community.

Thanks

James

by
Established Contributor

Thanks @James_B, I was merely wondering if this was a case of weeks or months?

I fully appreciate if this information is not filtered down the chain, I understand how these things work, but it's always worth asking the question!

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.