by yatezy Contributor
Contributor

IPv6 problems

Ive already posted in here about a previous problem with IPv6 where my phone has failed to connect to the inernet unless it was on IPv4.

Now im back with a worse problem, i had reset my phone so it reverted back to keeping the phone on the stock IPv4/IPv6 option in the APN settings. Very recently i've been getting extrememly high usage whilst tethering, looking through my data usage it has been showing Android OS as using a lot. 

http://imgur.com/Em4JRxT

During one evening i had used 4 gig of my allowance, i basically found the Android OS was using exactly the same amount of data as what was being tethered. I originally thought an app was running amok in the background so during tethering i blocked all mobile data usage from everything on my phone, including system and core apps but this had no effect. In the end i tried playing about with the APN settings and downloading exact file sizes.

Using an app to monitor the data usage and wiping the app Data after each change here are the results.

APN set at IPv4/IPv6 downloading a 10MB file, you can see both usages are equal.

http://imgur.com/kxG8ovy

APN set to IPv6 and downloading a file size of 20MB, again both usages are equal

http://imgur.com/pis5ms2

APN set to IPv4 and downloading a file size of 20MB and no Android OS data usage.

http://imgur.com/3CXOH6Z

Why is there seemingly problems with IPv6, originally failing to connect to websites and now data leaks during tethering?

This isnt a problem for me currently as my data rolls over in the 5 days so i could limp along but had this happened at the start of the month how would i be compensated for this? To lose over 5 gigabytes of data because my phone wants send data elsewhere is alot, luckily i dont mind playing around with settings to hunt the problem but had this effected someone else they could be using all their data well before the month ends.

5 REPLIES 5
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: IPv6 problems

Good afternoon @yatesy.

Thanks for coming back to the community.

For this you would need to contact our technical support team.

They can look at the data usage and get this investigated for you.

If you can get in touch with us they will see what they can do.

Thanks, Leanne.

by yatezy Contributor
Contributor

Back again and have the exact same problem.

Last time I tried calling the tech team I was pretty much fobbed off. I even sent a screen recording of this happening and it was elevated up to the tech team but never received a reply.

Fortunately I resolved the issue on my Nexus 6P by updating the bootloader and the modem.

Now I've recently got a Pixel 2 which is on the March patch (much more up to date than what my Nexus was) and the exact same thing is happening.

IPV4 is solving the issue but that isn't solving the root cause. Why should I have to play about with my APN settings to get my phone to work correctly.

by

Good morning @yatezy

Thanks for coming back to the community.

Have you spoken further with the technical support team about this?

Richard

by yatezy Contributor
Contributor

Ive not had chance to ring them due since it only happened last night and it being the weekend.

I may try and give them a ring or speak to online support online, id just rather not be chasing shadows you see.

Like i said, i sent an email direct to the girl i spoke to on the phone and she was going to forward it up to the Level 2 team. I tried following it up with an online chat a week later and they said it was with the tech team and thats the last i heard of it.

Like the last time this happened, ive lost an extra 2 gig of my allowance that wasnt needed to be used.

by

Morning @yatezy

If you can give us a call when you get a moment and let us know how you get on.

Thanks, Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions