by TheresaEE Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I was sold an EE sim but 4g service in my area does not work on my phone, help!

Hiya I was sold a sim card for EE but no one asked about my phone and the 4g service.  I have a samsung galaxy note 2 and it cannot picl up the 4g service in my area and fails regularly to send and recive texts and calls.  I have been into my local EE shop many times and they are now suggesting that I either get disconnected  ( ! ) or upgrade to a very expensive new phone.  I am not happy about this situation, any suggestions?

36 REPLIES 36
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: I was sold an EE sim but 4g service in my area does not work on my phone, he

Is this a PAYG SIM or a SIM-Only contract?

All EE SIMs will work on any level of 'G' signal, so it can't be a complete lack of service. Have you checked Network Status Checker ?

Calls & texts go over the voice network, not the 4G data.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Re: I was sold an EE sim but 4g service in my area does not work on my phone, he

its a sim only contract and a great deal there is service in the area but the problem is the phone which won't support the 4g network.  This issue was not raised at the point of sale.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @TheresaEE Sorry to hear about the problem but not sure EE can reasonably be expected to know the compatibility of all phones. I assume you have the N5100 model which doesn't work on the EE 4G network?

Not all 4G phones are that expensive. You could buy an EE Hawk on PAYG and put your SIM in it or EE do others which may be more suitable, or an unlocked phone from elsewhere.  According to https://willmyphonework.net/ there aren't any UK networks that will work on 4G with your Note.

by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the community @TheresaEE

Your device should still connect to the best signal in your area even if the device is not 4G ready.

Is it not connecting at all?

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

The conection is sporadic, at times I have resorted to getting the number I need from my mobile and calling on my landline.  Sometimes the texts just don't send, it is pretty frustrating.  I only bought my Samsung new a year ago so am pretty miffed at the local EE shop suggesting i spend £860 to get a new Galaxy Note 8 with a stylus.

Established Contributor

Hello there thanks for the feedback and the local EE shop felt that the phone conversation should have included a conversation about phone  compatibility.  The Samsung device I have is a GT-N7100 and I have been  told it cannot connect to 4g,  Not a happy bunny.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TheresaEE  What ever network you go with you’ll be sold a 4G contract as that’s the standard now.  Your device will be picking up 3G/2G/edge as these bandwidth are stilll in operation and will be for some time to come. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @TheresaEE,

Does the network status checker show any problems in your area?

Thanks

James

Established Contributor

Hello Chris thanks for your feedback and that may be the case that there is a an alternative service from 2/3g but I have had yet another afternoon of failed texts, no phone access and having to get home and use my landline to make essential phonecalls.  It's a shambles.

Established Contributor

Hello James thanks for your reply and there does not appear to be a problem in my area but as you may have seen from my recent post I have had an afternoon of failed texts and calls.  Very unsatisfactory.

by
EE Employee

Hi @TheresaEE

Are you able to borrow another handset from a friend or family member and try your SIM to rule out any fault with your phone?

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Hello Lee I have been down to the EE shop here in now 6 occasions and they have not found a prob with the phone on nay of those occasions.  It was bought new just a year ago.  Once again I have hooked up to my home broadband this morning and the notifications flood in so the EE internet is not working properly either.  I am getting to the stage where I cannot reply on the service on my phone from EE and have to depend on my landline and boradband for crucial activities.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @TheresaEE,

Please can I take your postcode to check the coverage in your area?

Thanks

James

Established Contributor

Hello Lee just to update I have just tried to call out on my mobile without success and ended up having to make the call on my landline (with no problem so the issue is not with the other end of the line).

Established Contributor

Hiya it is Ramsgate CT11 9NS

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@TheresaEE

You at you bought the Note 2 as new.

Samsung stopped selling these quite some time ago.

You would most likely have bought a second hand or refurbished model.

Where did you purchase It?

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by
EE Employee

Hi @TheresaEE

Please give customer services a quick call to have this looked into further.

I have discovered problems in your surrounding area which may be causing your service to experience the issues you are having.

Many thanks,

Lee 

Established Contributor

on ebay it was boxed and the security seal still intact, it replaced a stolen version of the same model.

Established Contributor

I will try that but there were no problems when I checked a few days ago.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions