by fordyamr1
Explorer

I'm moving to rural Scotland. There is 4G EE intermittently near to my new addr

Hello everyone, I need a bit of advice.

I'm moving to rural Scotland.  There is 4G EE intermittently near to my new address but not in my house. I can get good 4G on a hill about 80 metres from the house, and at an elevation of about 20 - 25 metres higher than the roof of the house.

Firstly, I am not very techy minded but am a quick learner.

I am looking to put an antenna on a mast close to the house to pick up the signal and then connect with an EE LTE modem within the house.

Just looking for advice on how to do this and with what antenna or other equipment, hopefully not too expensive.

thanks

Phil

3 REPLIES 3
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: I'm moving to rural Scotland. There is 4G EE intermittently near to my new

There are a number of ways you could do this.

1. Mount an antenna on the mast and run its cables to an EE Modem in your house. However, the 4G signal cable loss from this (and cost of coax cable) practically rules it out.

2. The more typical option. Have antenna and LTE modem at remote location and run power and ethernet cable to it from the house. Then connect the ethernet cable from the LTE modem to a router in the house. 

If we go with Number 2, EE has an LTE modem router and an antenna installation service for home 4G broadband. However, whether they'd install onto a structure not a house is another matter. You would need to provide power to the mast for the modem and then ethernet back to your house whre you would then have another router-something like an old other provider router will work in most cases with some configuration.

by fordyamr1
Explorer

Many thanks for the reply Peter. Option 2 is feasible as I own the hill near the house, so that's good advice. I'll wait to see if I get any other replies and take it from there.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @fordyamr1,

Thanks for visiting the EE Community.

If you need any advice on the installation of a 4GEE Home antenna you can call our dedicated team on 0800 079 0131.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions