by Christo_m Investigator
Investigator

I know EE says they don’t throttle, but I am seeing some weird things.

I have an unlimited 4g sim I use in a HUAWEI 4g router, my land line is terrible. 

The 4g has been pretty damn good consistently delivering around 200Mbps. About a month ago things start to get slow. I notice that YouTube is stuck on buffering a 4K stream, so I try a download from a website and notice the speed is way down at around 10mbps. So I launch the windows 10 Speedtest.net app and it scores about 200Mbps. Windows downloads, Steam, HTTP downloads, streaming services, they all top out at anywhere from 10-30Mbps depending on the day. During late evenings and early mornings things tend to be fast again. 

The really interesting bit is that the Speedtest.net app will just about always get around 200Mbps, but other protocols tend to be slow. Does anyone know what’s going on, because everything I am experiencing points to protocols being throttled. 

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: I know EE says they don’t throttle, but I am seeing some weird things.

Are you comparing like with like? Speedtests measure speeds in bits/sec but Windows measures its d/load rates in Bytes/sec. 1 Byte = 8 bits. So 30 MBps ~= 240 Mbps.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Hi,

Yes most certainly, what I said stands.

I am degree educated and work with bits and bytes on a daily basis. 😉

Following is an example of what I mean.

Speedtest result ~17:45

PS: Not sure why images are not showing, this shows 175Mbps

speedtest_result.png

One minute later trying a Steam download:

This image shows 750kbps...yes not even 1mbps.

steam_download.png

Steam set to unlimited, there is no limiting software installed. No other downloads. If I installed something on Steam at 1am I would most likely get ~24MB/s or ~200mbps everything else being the same. This has been going on for over a month. This is also not limited to Steam only. Youtube, any HTTP download or any other gaming client, Windows download....anything really except Speedtest. It very nicely rules out any sort of connection issue between me and the tower. 

I am thinking that several users have opted for unlimited Data sims and popped these into routers. I suspect that EE are now limiting these users in some way. I know the policy is to not do this, above is my proof. Not conclusive by any means, but it is my experience with this service at the moment.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

As XRaySpex has said, downloads in browsers, game software and such typically display the rate in bytes, whereas internet speedtesting services generally do it in bits, so you expect a discrepancy of 8. 

In other words, your steam downloads should be hitting 25MB/s if your tests on speedtest.net etc are doing 200. 

Investigator

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Can we move on from the bits and bytes discussion as it clearly does not apply here.

This is me doing a speedtest 157 MegaBit,  or if you prefer, about 20 MegaByte per second.

ee_speedtestnet.jpg

Also me about a minute later trying a driver download from Nvidia:

About 1 MegaByte  per sec.

nvidia_driver_download.jpg

Trying to stream a 4k youtube vid:

About 1 MegaByte  per sec.

youtube_4k_steaming.jpg

The network is idle, I am connected via lan cable.

I have tried these tests on different PC's, the behaviour is consistent.

Basically the service is close to useless, but benchmarks like a gem.

Any ideas about what could be happening?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Christo_m

Thanks for posting on the community.

If you give our Tech Gurus a call they will be able to get this looked into for you.

Thanks.

Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.