by A30 Contributor
Contributor

I can't access data using my PAYG pack on my Samsung Galaxy S7.

I have just moved to the UK and got an EE PAYG pack with 7 gb of data, 500 minutes talk, and unlimited texts. The sim card is supposed to automatically activate, but so far I've only been able to get talk and text to work. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7 that was originally used with Verizon in the U.S. I called them and they confirmed that my phone is unlocked, so I don't believe there is a problem there. I've also tried resetting the APN using EE's settings, but again have had no luck. Any help you could provide would be much appreciated.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by A30 Contributor
Contributor
Solution

Re: I can't access data using my PAYG pack on my Samsung Galaxy S7.

The problem is fixed! I called technical support, and after getting kicked up to Level 2, they helped me to manually reset my APN. I had alreay tried doing this on my own, but I must have entered something wrong. But, for anybody else having a similar problem, try this:

1) Go to settings

2) Mobile Networks

3) Access Point Names

-- Click on the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner. This will bring up the option "Re

set to default". Click on "Reset to Default".

4) This should give you a clean slate to re-enter APN info.

5) Click on "Add" or "+" in the upper right corner. This will bring up the "Edit Access Point" menu.

6) Fill out the information required as follows. And it is case sensitive, so bear that in mind:

NAME

Internet

APN

everywhere

Username

eesecure

Password

secure

Authentication type

PAP

APN type

There are other options in there, but these are the only parts that technical support told me to fill out, so these are what I am putting down.

7) You should now have a new APN that says:

Internet

everywhere

8)Try connecting to the internet -- it worked for me after this.

Hopefully this helps somebody else out in the future and they can avoid a day of phone calls with technical support. Thanks for the advice everybody.

A30

23 REPLIES 23
by phil76012 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi A30,

I’m lead to believe that you won’t be able to use an EE Sim on a phone that was  bought in the USA. 

The information given to me stated that the phone will only work with network providers that the phone was bought in. 

however I’m not 100% sure this information is  accurate

considering your able to use the sim to make and  receive calls and texts. 

I’m sure someone else here will give you the correct information in solving this issue. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@phil76012: It sounds like you are just talking about locking, but OP states his phone is unlocked. Hence why it can make calls & texts.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by A30 Contributor
Contributor

I don't think the problem is entirely with this being a USA phone. I've looked up the frequencies for UK 4G, and my phone is set up to receive them. I also used this website (https://willmyphonework.net) to check if my phone was compatible with the EE network, and it checked out.

Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX

I was talking about the phone itself. 

As  the information I was

given was that the phone will only work with the network providers from the country the phone  originally bough from. 

The reason it  states this is

because the phone is  configured to work on the towers for the country the phone will used in. 

Now there could be truth to this as when you go aboard and considering you got roaming on when you land at your  destination your sim will link to another network will allows EE to use it services. 

Correct me me if I’m wrong this ain’t based on my own experience but what I’ve come across. 

Established Contributor

@A30

I agree that it may not be anything to do with the phone as it highly unlikely due to the fact you can use other services. 

I would suggest trying another sim I’m sure a family member( assuming they came with you ) would provide you with one to try. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@phil76012: So was I!

Your info is flawed. There are many US owners of US phones running on EE SIMs. The only thing that matters is whether the phone has the right frequencies for the UK networks & OP has checked that out.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX

Thanks for the information,  Like I said I wasn’t 100% sure as the Information sounded far  fetched in all honesty. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @A30 and welcome to the community.

This does sound very strange indeed, if your device has the correct banding and APN's are correct, it should work.

Can I get you to check the following:

1. From the home screen, tap Apps.
  2. Scroll to and tap Settings.
  3. Scroll to and tap Data usage.
    • To enable mobile data, tap to enable the Mobile data switch.
    • To disable mobile data, tap to disable the Mobile data switch, then tap OK

Let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by A30 Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Lee_H,

I went into the settings as suggested, and mobile date is turned on.

Thanks,

A30

by A30 Contributor
Contributor

To make it clear, that did not solve the problem. Mobile data already turned on. I realized after I posted that it sounded like that resolved the problem. It did not, unfortunately.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @A30

Thanks for checking that.

Could you try turning 4G off please?

Tap Settings >>> Mobile Data/Cellular data >>> Mobile Data/Cellular data options >>> Toggle Enable 4G OFF.

Please let me know if that works.

Chris

by A30 Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I don't seem to have the option to toggle 4G on or off.

by

Ok, no problem, @A30.

Could you check to see if there is a carrier update?:-

Tap Settings >>> General >>> About. If a carrier update is available, it will pop up.

Chris

by A30 Contributor
Contributor

Here are links to screenshots of my settings options, in case that is helpful:

https://imgur.com/RG8XEG3  -- Mobile Networks Settings

https://imgur.com/5JvPMrp   --  General Settings

by A30 Contributor
Contributor

There is a system update for Android Samsung Galaxy S7.  Installing now... I'll let you know how it goes.

by A30 Contributor
Contributor

System update is installed, but still nothing. I don't know if that's different from carrier updates, but that's all I saw.

by

Thanks, @A30.

It's good that you have done the software update though.

On the first screenshot, please change the network mode to UMTS/GSM. That will turn 4G off. Just as a test.

Thanks

Chris

by A30 Contributor
Contributor

The only options I have there are:

Global

LTE/CDMA

LTE/UMTS/GSM

There is no option for just:

UMTS/GSM

by

OK, thanks, @A30

There are obviously some slight differences between the US phone from the UK one.

I suggest speaking to our technical support team. They will be able to help you with this.

Please let me know how you get on.

Chris

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.