by Fluke84 Investigator
Investigator

I am unable to use cctv app over EE 4g

I use IDMSS app to view my cctv. App work on WiFi and my wife’s mobile which is on O2. When I am on 4g however nothing. Failure to connect alerts. 

Anyone any idea as to why this happens? 

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: I am unable to use cctv app over EE 4g

It is probable that you are up against a limitation of EE's mobile network. The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Fluke84 Investigator
Investigator

Is there no way around this? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Fluke84 : Yes, get a CCTV that has a Cloud-based method of access, rather than directly by IP ..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

My camera is not cloud-based so I wouldn’t say it was the limitations of EEs network. It’ll be IPv6 and it’ll need IPv4.  The app needs an update to work using IPv6. 

by Fluke84 Investigator
Investigator

So does EE only run on IPv6? I do believe the cctv system is IPv4. Frustrating why other mobile networks work fine just not EE 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Fluke84   IPv6 is the lasted standard and app developers should be implementing within their apps so it works. 

by Fluke84 Investigator
Investigator

Ok but looking through this community it seems to have only been an issue with EE and for sometime now. Shouldn’t IPv6 and IPv4 be available until everything runs on the newer standard?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Fluke84,

Have you tried contacting the app developer to see if they a version that is IPv6 compatible?

Thanks

James

by Fluke84 Investigator
Investigator

App developer is based in China. I’ve submitted feedback but no reply as of yet. 

Cctv installer coming by today to have a look. Maybe see something I can’t 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hope you get it sorted @Fluke84

It might also be worth looking into alternative apps in the meantime.

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.