by
EE Community Support Team

How much data am I using on EE?

Do you ever wonder how much data streaming TV or downloading music uses on your phone or tablet? We’ll give you some tips to optimise your EE data allowance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Pgcbv8ZtU&feature=youtu.be

Which internet activities use the most data?

Things like looking through internet sites on a browser and sending or receiving emails only use a small amount of data, others such as watching catch-up TV or videos on YouTube can use significantly more.

If you're using a 4G WiFi device you'll need to consider how many devices, such as phones and tablets, are connecting to it, along with what each device is using the Internet for.

Below are some handy figures that give you an idea about how much data certain activities use. The figures are estimated and based on averages, so your actual usage may be a little higher or less.

Activity

Data Consumption (estimated)

Web browsing

1 – 4MB per minute

Uploading Photos

1.5MB per photo (depending on quality of image)

Facebook

1 – 2MB per minute

Maps navigation

100 - 200KB per minute

Gaming

1.5MB upwards per minute

Music Streaming

1 – 2MB per minute (standard sound quality)

Podcast Streaming

60 – 100MB per hour

Skype/Video Call

90MB – 1.4GB per hour (depending on quality)

YouTube/Video Streaming

2 – 3MB per minute

YouTube/Video Streaming HD

4 – 6MB per minute

1MB = 1024KB      1GB = 1024MB

Hints and Tips

• Do software/firmware updates whilst connected to WiFi.

• Download and update apps when you're connected to WiFi.

• Make sure you close apps properly on your device, so they don't use data in the background.

• You can even change the settings on some apps so they can only be used when connected to WiFi. This will help keep your data allowance for when you're out and about.

• Turn WiFi assist off (iPhone): Tap Settings > Mobile Data > Scroll to the bottom > turn WiFi assist OFF.

You can even manage your data usage through the app itself. Here are a couple of examples:

Netflix

Read more

Set the video quality as standard, rather than HD, to lower the amount of data used per minute.

More > App Settings > Video Quality > Standard

Facebook

Read more

Video auto-play means that, as you scroll through your Facebook news feed, videos automatically start playing. When connected through mobile data, this would use your mobile data.

You can set it so that this only happens on WiFi:

Settings > Videos and photos > Auto-Play > On WiFi connections only

Can I see a breakdown of how my data was used?

On some phones, you can check how much data each of your apps have used since the counter was last reset, if ever:

iPhone

Read more
Tap Settings > Mobile data.

Scroll down and your apps will be listed in order of how much data they have used with the figure in GB, MB or KB next to it.

The data shown here is an estimate and may vary slightly to your overall usage in your My EE account.

Android

Read more
Tap Settings > Connections > Data Usage > Mobile data (may vary slightly depending on manufacturer).

Scroll down and your apps will be listed in order of how much data they have used with the figure in GB, MB or KB next to it.

The data shown here is an estimate and may vary slightly to your overall usage in your My EE account.

Although the figures may vary compared to the actual data usage shown in your My EE account, it will still help you understand which apps that you use for data most and, if you reset the counter, help you monitor going forward.

If you have any questions, please tap the reply button below.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions