by Beecomb612 Investigator
Investigator

How does Pay as you Go Data Work?

Hello, I have got just a basic EE pay as you go plan on my tablet with no packs. I would like to use data to play online games outside (such as Pokemon Go), but am unsure how it works. 

Currently my EE account says it has 50mb of data, I presume all I have to do is activate mobile data in my tablet settings to receive an internet connection outside. However, once this 50mb ticks down to 0, do I just lose connection, or does my current top-up start being charged for extra data?

9 REPLIES 9
by
EE Employee

Re: How does Pay as you Go Data Work?

Hi @Beecomb612 and welcome to the community.

Once you reach 0mb you will be directed to an addons page to purchase more data as you are unable to purchase data per mb.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Thanks for the responce, I guess I will buy the data pack then. But you know what happens if you don't have enough top-up to renew the pack after the month? Does it just automatically cancel?

by
EE Employee

Hi @Beecomb612

Data add ons are not auto renewable they only need to be purchased when needed.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What data SIM comes with as little as 50MB of data? Where did you get this SIM & how much did you pay for it?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

I just got a normal £1 pay as you go sim from the shops. I removed any packs before topping up because I wan't sure I needed one.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, you've bought an ordinary PAYG phone SIM & stopped its pack. The 50MB data is just to get you started. You can only get more data on it by buying packs or add-ons.

• Text DATA to 150 to see what data packs you can buy.
  • Text ADD DATA to 150 to see what data add-ons you can buy.

You can only buy packs or add-ons when your PAYG credit is enough. So it'll just wait until you top-up sufficient.

Hoe much data do you think you'll need? You might be better off with a PAYG Data SIM .

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Beecomb612

I see @XRaySpeX has offered some brilliant information here.

Does that answer your question?

Chris

Investigator

Thanks for the info, I will consider my options and purchase the appropriate packs/add on. That should my my question answered!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.