by Recordist Investigator
Investigator

How do I switch off VoLTE on my phone or ee account

How do I switch off VoLTE on my phone or ee account?

I dont want it and dont need it!

I live in the centre of a well connected city, I'm always in reach of an EE 4G Network!

I see no advantage in it! I don't apear to benifit.. 

This VoLTE fascillity is potentally using up my data (although I doubt it much.. but a drain all the same)

I'm happy with my calls being routed through 2G & 3G

EE must be the only benificiary of VoLTE

How do I switch it off on my EE account

Best Reg Robert

12 REPLIES 12
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: How do I switch off VoLTE on my phone or ee account

VoLTE is not using up any data. It is just for calls and texts over the 4G network.

This avoids it having to drop back to 2 or 3G to make or receive a call.

Also this can' be disabled.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10 Beta)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Recordist  VoLTE is phone calls over 4G.  In reach of EE4G. Or you could say I’m reach of. VoLTE.   

Investigator

@Recordist wrote:

How do I switch off VoLTE on my phone or ee account?

I dont want it and dont need it!

I live in the centre of a well connected city, I'm always in reach of an EE 4G Network!

I see no advantage in it! I don't apear to benifit.. 

This VoLTE fascillity is potentally using up my data (although I doubt it much.. but a drain all the same)

I'm happy with my calls being routed through 2G & 3G

EE must be the only benificiary of VoLTE

How do I switch it off on my EE account

Best Reg Robert

With refrence to my previous post... 

Ah! I've sorted it! I found a setting which disables VoLTE ..

The setting is labled as .. "Use VoLTE to improve voice and Video Call Quality" 

Intresting!! .. As I've never found 2G or 3G voice quality to be anthing other than Good Quality!!!

Then!.. Video Calling? .. If I ever wanted to video call I'd use one of the Wifi services .. Hangouts, Facetime or in my case Google Duo.. These Wifi calls would be fee of cost .. 

Maybe I'm missing something?.. I dont understand the circumstance, where in other forum posts.. ee customers are requesting this service.. as though thier missing out on something! ! ..  It all seems a little mad to me!

Best Reg Robert

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Recordist  LTE is another name for 4G.  Voice Over LTE is just a call made over 4G.  The EE network is a 4G network so why disable something that your device can use and doesn’t cost you anything more to use.  

Investigator

@BrendonH wrote:

VoLTE is not using up any data. It is just for calls and texts over the 4G network.

This avoids it having to drop back to 2 or 3G to make or receive a call.

Also this can' be disabled.

Hi Brendon..

Well in my case, it is using up my 4G data .. As I use 4G for broadband.. So effectivly, my wifi has a data limit!

It's one I don't normally go over.. but it does exist .. 

Cheers Robert

Investigator

@Chris_B wrote:

@Recordist  LTE is another name for 4G.  Voice Over LTE is just a call made over 4G.  The EE network is a 4G network so why disable something that your device can use and doesn’t cost you anything more to use.  

Hi Chris

My setup is a little unusual.. in that I use 4G for broadband WiFi, which does have a data limit.. 

So however small the voice data use is ... switching it off makes sence to me! 

I still think it's of little benifit to those of us who have a reliable EE signal ..

The default of off suits me.. as I can always switch it back on, if my signal ever failed! 

Thanks for your reply.. 

Cheers Robert

Investigator

Hi BrendonH & Chris

Thanks for your replies ..

I've finally got my head around this ..

As you say it's Calls/Voice over LTE 

So it's not anything to do with my WiFi 4G network ..

That would be Voip.. quite a diffrent thing!

Thanks again .. I've got it now!

Cheers Robert

by
EE Community Support Team

Glad you got the help you needed @Recordist

Thanks @Chris_B @BrendonH

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Another thing to bear in mind is if you use WiFi calling, then VoLTE allows handover of voice calls between WiFi and the mobile network.

In other words, if your phone doesn't support VoLTE and you're on a VoWiFi call and lose WiFi, the call will drop. If you have VoLTE/4G calling, then your call will hand off from WiFi to 4G, and then onwards to 3G/2G as necessary. It also works in reverse from 4G to WiFi.

Also the HD voice codec is only officially supported on WiFi & 4G calls, although it seems to work on a lot of 3G calls in MBNL areas too.

Investigator

Hi Bristolian

Thanks for that information!!

Very intresting...

That appears to answer my question ..

My origional question evolved into this one!

Does VoLTE use my wifi for voice calls? 

According to your reply .. & contary to the other replies, it seems the answer is..

"Yes it can do"

Just to recap! .. My Wifi network, uses a good quality static 4G router, which does have a data limit! As it's not used by any Social media/ Streaming teenagers, I never reach my monthly cap.. but it's possible!!.. Especially if VoLTE mobile was routing voice calls through my home wifi. I've no need of this facillity as I receive a good 3G & 2G signal at home, so switching it off is probibly best! 

Thanks again for the info.. Robert

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

No, VoLTE is not using your WiFi for calling. When 4G first came out it only supported data, and voice calls fell back to 2G/3G. Under VoLTE, the 4G network carries voice as well.

My point is that the 3G & 2G networks don't have voice call handover to or from WiFi calling. 4G calling/VoLTE does. I'm happy to explain more if it would help, PM if that's more appropriate.

It sounds like you have personal reasons for not wanting to use WiFi calling which is upto you, but VoLTE is definitely something worth using if you have the choice.

by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

@Recordist you will also lose 800mhz band coverage so may find that you no longer have signal in places you did before.

VoLTE’s main advantage for users on EE is access to the 800mhz coverage layer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.