by RhianT Established Contributor
Established Contributor

How did I go over Fair Use Policy?

Hi, I'm on Pay As You Go and have gone over the Fair Use Policy. I never have exceeded it before and I used to use mobile data more than I currently do, with apps like Twitter, etc which I'd use A LOT. I only really use one app currently that uses data, which is Kik Messenger, would that surely eat it all up? It never has in the past 3 years and I use my device less now than a few years ago and never then did I go over. I did in the last month change my device not sure if that has anything to do with it, maybe I have apps in the background using it up without knowing. I was just wondering what are the charges for continuing to use data with PAYG? And how can I maybe prevent going over again? I don't really know much about it to be honest.

10 REPLIES 10
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: How did I go over Fair Use Policy?

Hi @RhianT,

Welcome to the EE Community.

You can check how much data individual apps are using in your settings. It's also a good idea to only allow software update over WiFi to save your mobile data.

Which plan are you using?

Thanks

James

Established Contributor

Hi, James. Thanks for getting back. I'm on T-Mobiles Text plan and get 1GB free data as I top up to get that added on, normally the 1GB would last me the whole month and has done for years, not sure why now this month it hasn't when I'm not doing anything different. I'll take a look at the settings and see what else could be causing it maybe something in the background. Thanks again

by

No problem @RhianT

Let us know how you get on.

James

by Haydon-Berrow Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@RhianT Am I right in guessing that you top up by £15 per month to get the data add-on? I'm on a T-Mobile Text plan too and I only top up by £10 each month. This doesn't give me data but the £10s accumulate and after 4 weeks I have enough to buy a data-booster. The economics work out very well for me, see https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4G-and-mobile-data/Tmobile-6-Month-internet-booster-stopped-working-Af.... Maybe that's how you spend your accumulated credit already.

I just looked up the T-Mobile Text Plan and they're more than a little vague on how much download data you get for a top-up of £15.

Established Contributor

Hi @Haydon-Berrow

You are right to guess that. I actually looked back at the saved texts from when I did top-up last month, and it is actually 500MB free for topping up £15 not the 1GB I actually said, (got confused, 1GB is how much I've used this month so far). So now what I am actually confused by is if I get 500MB free, and the Fair Use is 500MB do they add the two together? Looking back at what I used last month, I used 2GB data, but was never charged after I had gone over... This is all too confusing for my simple brain, I'm so confused I am probably making zero sense so I apologise. Thanks for getting back.

by
EE Employee

Hi @RhianT and welcome to the community.

The free boosters comes with a Fair Use Policy of 500MB a calendar month.

We’ll monitor how much you use each calendar month so that we can protect our network for all our customers.

If you use more than your fair use policy amount we won’t charge you anymore, but we may restrict how you can use internet on your phone.

Hope that helps,

Lee

Established Contributor

Hi, @Lee_H

So I was right in guessing that then, that was really helpful. Thank you very much!

by

Thanks for getting back to @Lee_H

He is off today @RhianT so I will pass on your reply.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

Established Contributor

Ah I see ok, thank you Richard! That's kind of you and very much appreciatedSmiley Happy

by

Come back anytime @RhianT

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions