by Buzby-Barkley Contributor
Contributor

GPRS when 4G available

I’m on holiday at IV22 (Poolewe) and my EE SIM states 4G on my iPhone. However my iPad - which has a 12Gb PAYG data SIM states GPRS only - yet both are side by side, and both worked fine before I arrived here. Any thoughts on why the iPad is only offering slow data - even after a network reset?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor
Solution

Re: GPRS when 4G available

I was about to post the same - I was in Poolewe quite recently and concur with @Peter_C that 4G there comes from Cliff Hill tower (local landmark on the Gairloch-Poolewe road) and is currently 4G800 only. If you don't have access to VoLTE for whatever reason, then you will only see 2G1800 coverage there.

I wouldn't be surprised if, when the new site over at Badachro goes live for 4G1800/4G800, that things may well change and 4G1800 is made live on both.

5 REPLIES 5
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Buzby-Barkley,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Is 4G enabled in your mobile data settings?

Thanks

James

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @Buzby-Barkley

Thank you for taking the time to post today. Smiley Happy

This could be because you're in an area with 4G 800MHz which is only available on Pay Monthly and Business contracts.

You can test this by typing *3001#12345#* into your iPhone's dialer and accessing field test mode.

by Buzby-Barkley Contributor
Contributor

Yes - both worked fine in an earlier location. It may well be due to the PAYG/Contract differential - which I find rather unreasonable!
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Spot on @Inyourbox,

The 4G coverage at Poolewe comes from 800MHz.

@Buzby-Barkley EE aren't intentionally blocking pay as you go customers from accessing 800MHz, it's an effect of the different core systems for contract and pay as you go customers. In time, things should change though.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor
Solution

I was about to post the same - I was in Poolewe quite recently and concur with @Peter_C that 4G there comes from Cliff Hill tower (local landmark on the Gairloch-Poolewe road) and is currently 4G800 only. If you don't have access to VoLTE for whatever reason, then you will only see 2G1800 coverage there.

I wouldn't be surprised if, when the new site over at Badachro goes live for 4G1800/4G800, that things may well change and 4G1800 is made live on both.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.