by marcoiris Investigator
Investigator

Free 5GB UK Data

Hi,

Just took out a new contract today that included 6GB of data.  The e-mail confusingly breaks this down as follows:

1GB of 4G data... which you can use abroad in the EU.

5GB of free UK data - this appears under the additional items section.

I specifically asked whether i could freely use the 6GB of data in the EU and was told i could.

Can someone please explain whether the 5GB of free UK data can be used in the EU without extra charges being incurred?  And if i can, why is it described as ‘free UK Data’?

Many thanks

Marco

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Free 5GB UK Data

@marcoiris   You’re probably find it’s  worded as such because you can purchase roaming data.   EE need to change that wording as you rightly know you can use that data in the EU. But if it was to say roaming data also one called assume that you could use that data anywhere when you are abroad not just necessarily the EU and that wouldn’t be the case. 

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @marcoiris

Which plan/ tariff are you on. Did you get this additional data because you have EE broadband? Did you upgrade online? 

According to EE roaming guide

If your domestic data allowance is greater than 15GB, you will be subject to a fair usage policy of 15GB whilst you are roaming in our Europe Zone: this means you can use a maximum of 15GB from your data allowance while roaming.

When the fair usage policy applies to you, once you have used up 15GB when roaming, we will notify you and surcharges will apply if you want to keep using data when roaming.

So by that wording it will be usable. If you are unsure give CS a call on 150.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Investigator

Hi @Northerner

It’s a sim only pay monthly plan. My last sim only plan, which only had 2GB of data, had come to an end so i phoned EE to see what they could offer.  I don’t have broadband with EE.

Thanks for the roaming guide extract. I agree with you, according to this wording i should be able to freely use all 6GB of my data anywhere in the EU.  It’s the ambiguity of the ‘UK data’ wording I will need to get confirmation of to put my mind st ease.  I’m sure it should be fine.  I can’t believe that EE would give me data that i could only use in the UK.  Even if they wanted to i don’t think they could  as i thought EU roaming legislation prohibited it.

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@marcoiris   You’re probably find it’s  worded as such because you can purchase roaming data.   EE need to change that wording as you rightly know you can use that data in the EU. But if it was to say roaming data also one called assume that you could use that data anywhere when you are abroad not just necessarily the EU and that wouldn’t be the case. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @marcoiris and welcome to the community. 🙂

@Chris_B has nailed it here. It's called UK data to differentiate it from roaming data.

You are able to use your UK allowances when roaming in the EU/EEA, this includes your full 6GB of data.

Hope this puts your mind at ease. 🙂

Chris 

Investigator

Thank you @Christopher_G & @Chris_B for the clarification.  I can now look forward to using my beefed up data allowance during my upcoming holiday in Bulgaria 😃.

by
EE Employee

Enjoy your time in Bulgaria @marcoiris

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.