by itskatelliott Investigator
Investigator

External Ip access to ssh server

Hi there

I'm a web developer, I frequently travel with my laptop and USB/Bluetooth tether my EE phone to provide internet access while I'm on the move.

I have recently found that when tethering I can no longer connect via SSH to access client servers (usually a fairly standard IP username / key / password combo) and I cannot access sites via IPv4 addresss (the sites I work on do not always have a domain assigned). In both instances there is a timeout as though the IP cannot be resolved or there is a firewall preventing connection.

I can access the sites via IPv4 on my phone no problem, and I can SSH to the servers fine on my laptop when connected via a different network e.g. my home/office broadband. I've disabled all firewalls on the machine. The issue is only present while I am trying to connect to sites on my laptop, while it is using my phone's internet connection.

I'm a bit stumped and would appreciate any ideas as I do need this to work.

cheers!

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: External Ip access to ssh server

You say you can no longer connect via SSH to access client servers. Does that mean you used to be able to do this over the EE mobile network?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Yes that's right, I can't say exactly when I stopped being able to do it but I was definitely able to do so about a year ago whilst on holiday.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Check you haven't got content lock enabled as it could affect SSH.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/safety-and-security/content-lock/switching-content-lock-on-or-off

Investigator

That's a good suggestion, I just went into those settings on My EE but content lock is set to allow Full Access (there's no option to disable it entirely but I am guessing Full Access means it doesn't block anything?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @itskatelliott,

Yes, full access means content lock is disabled.

Have you spoken to technical support to see if they can help?

Thanks

James

by groovyf Contributor
Contributor

Odd you should mention that, as a couple of months ago I stopped being able to connect to the VPN Server on my Synology running at home via my iPhone when on mobile data. I can access it fine when connected to other WiFi hotspots (public/friends/family).

I've had a chat with tech support and even they queried level 2 support, but basically all saying nothing they can do as all other 4G functions/access are OK.

Personally, I think they're blocking ports or something similar on their network now, as it used to work for me.

I know the phone isn't even hitting the VPN server as there are no challenge/response events in the log.

See my Discussion post here: https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4G-and-mobile-data/4G-and-Synology-Diskstation-VPN-issue/td-p/712491

(Which seems to show someone else has spotted they have the same problem).

I'd say your SSh issue and my VPN issue are related.

by ukguy Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Could be related to https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4G-and-mobile-data/throttle-4g/td-p/694592

Read the last post, even after multiple engineer phone calls, they deny throttling, I even sent evidence. They closed the complaint and told me to go to the Ombudsmen if not happy.

by ukguy Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I thought they were throttling VPN but whe i do a speedtest at the same time as SSH is crawling, the upload is 20-25meg

SSH crawls at 0.5mb/s which is about 4meg, it's about 25% of the obtainable speed.

Throttled.

by groovyf Contributor
Contributor

Hi itskatelliott,

Did you find a solution to your issue? As mine still *is* an issue.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.