by Greengage Investigator
Investigator

EE mobile frequencies where I live?

I live in a rural area where reception on my HTC mobile isn't great indoors, so I wish to purchase a signal booster.  It's predominently voice reception that I'm interested in. Before you ask, there are reasons why I don't want to use wi-fi !

Most of the more moderately priced signal boosters are single band but I'm not clear on which band/frequency my phone is actually picking up in this particular area (the EE mast is in Llandrindod Wells, Powys, 4Km away from where I live).  I know 4G reception is OK as I have an EE home broadband router, the signal for which is enhanced by an external antenna which works great. The mobile is capable of 2/3/4G and displays the connected Mobile Network Type as either LTE or EDGE.  Any guidance on the band/frequency used on this particlar mast (or that I'm receiving) would be most appreciated.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Investigator
Solution

Re: EE mobile frequencies where I live?

Chris, that clarifies matters . . . many thanks, I know which way to go now!

8 REPLIES 8
by
EE Employee

Hi @Greengage and welcome to the community.

Have you spoken to our technical support team to assist with this one?

If your device supports WIFI calling please use that as this will help.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Lee, many thanks for your response.

Haven't spoken to EE technical support team . . . is there a direct email/online address?

As I mentioned, wi-fi is not a current option, furthermore my (and my wife's) HTC mobile are 2/3 years old, so unless EE come up with an app (as O2 did) we are unable to use wi-fi as an integrated feature.  EE indicate that you have to purchase a new mobile through them in order to use this facility.  With all 3rd party wi-fi apps it seems that there are additional call charges and no chance of receiving calls on your regular mobile number . . . is that correct?

A boosted phone signal would overcome that issue, hence the enquiry about actual frequencies in my area so that I can be sure of acquiring a suitable signal booster.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Greengage

The contact details for the technical team can be found on the get in touch page.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Thanks Lee, much appreciated . . . I'll see what they have to say.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

EE provides a home femtocell for customers who have a poor signal who cannot use WiFi calling. This may come at a cost depending on circumstances.

There are specific legalities with providing your own signal improvement solutions so make sure you are fully in possession of the most up to date information from Ofcom; sellers' websites are not always truthful.

EE's frequencies:

Location report: Temple St, Llandrindod Wells LD1 5HF

1800MHz: G/L

2100MHz: U

800MHz: L

Investigator

Peter, many thanks for your comments and info, much appreciated.

I wasn't sure about the Femtocell (Signal Box)  . . . does that send/receive (in the house) mobile signal or is the link to the phone via wi-fi . . . in which case I'm back to where I started.  If the Signal Box uses mobile signal (to the phone) and wi-fi to my wireless router then I'm in business!  My broadband is via 4GEE as I'm in an area where only this or satellite broadband works.  There seem to be quite a number of Signal Boxes on Ebay at low cost.  If you are able to clarify the above that would be great. Thanks again.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Greengage  Don’t bother with eBay if it’s a 2nd hand EE signal box as there account locked.    It uses 3G to get a signal to your device it’s just that the signal box is Ethernet cable fixed to your router to send/receive its signal.  No wifi involved. 

Investigator
Solution

Chris, that clarifies matters . . . many thanks, I know which way to go now!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.