by dougiejones Investigator
Investigator

EE blocks 4G

EE blocks 4G for visitors roaming on their network in the UK Smiley Sad Does anybody know why?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Employee
Solution

Re: EE blocks 4G

Hi @dougiejones and welcome to the community.

As @winston has mentioned it all depends on the network agreement we have for our roaming partners that use our network whilst in the UK.

For example, my family were over from Australia and they are on Telstra and the were using 4G whilst here in the UK on our network.

Many thanks,

Lee

7 REPLIES 7
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi,

The foreign networks need to have 4G roaming agreements with EE first, because they can access the network.  It's like the two other competitor networks in the UK, their customers cannot even access 4G when roaming in the EU and the rest of the world. 

W

Investigator

Hi!

Not quite true, actually: I bought an ASDA Mobile sim card which runs on the EE network and I got full unrestricted access to 4G in France until I ran out of data.

BTW, O2 does the same but Vodafone doesn't.

by
EE Employee
Solution

Hi @dougiejones and welcome to the community.

As @winston has mentioned it all depends on the network agreement we have for our roaming partners that use our network whilst in the UK.

For example, my family were over from Australia and they are on Telstra and the were using 4G whilst here in the UK on our network.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Just as another example, a German friend is roaming in the UK using his German SIM and gets 4G on EE.

The user's home network needs to have a 4G roaming agreement and the infrastructure (interlinks etc) to support 4G roaming in the other country. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for supporting and helping out @Peter_C

Richard

🙂

Investigator

Thanks guys, I get it now. Its actually  the same in Europe - sometimes you get 4g or lte sometimes you don't . I was thinking maybe it was just UK thing .but its  very sad in 2017  telcos still need separate agreements for the soon to be obsolete technology Smiley Sad

by
EE Community Support Team

Thank you for coming back to community and we hope to see you in future.

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.