by fatalist88 Investigator
Investigator

EE Throttling by application?

Hi all,

Bit of a long one here. 

Over the past couple of days my download speed on my S8 has slowed right down to 1.1MB/s (normally see 8-10MB/s) on applications like Steam and Origin (I tether my phone to my PC). 

If I run a speedtest I achieve 6MB/s and can repeat that over and over, however Steam/Origin (which I do download *alot* from) are being throttled to 1.1MB/s. 

I've gone through resetting my phone with technical support and tried to explain the issue like I did above, however because my speedtests where good they felt they couldn't do anything.

Any help would be fantastic.

24 REPLIES 24
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: EE Throttling by application?

Hi @fatalist88,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Please bear in mind that download speeds will vary depending on the bandwidth available to the server you are downloading from. I would expect many gaming servers to be busier than usual at the moment.

Thanks

James

Investigator

Hi @James_B thanks for getting back to me.

Alas, with Steam you can select servers from all around the world. Australia, Germany, USA, UK - they ALL are capped at 1.1MB/s.

For what it's worth, on Origin, it is the same story, capped at the same speed.

Could you check on my account to see if there is any 'traffic management' on my account?

by WillRoberts04
Explorer

Hi, thought I would contribute here as I'm also having this issue. 

Over the last few days my download speed is being capped at 1.1mb/s. Online speed tests say I'm getting 35 - 40 mbps, however all downloads are being limited to 1.1mb/s, I'm also a gamer and have checked, Origin, Steam and Uplay, all of which get capped out at 1.1mb/s when I used to get up 5mb/s. 

I'm fairly confident EE is capping my speed, probably due to the current coronavirus situation. I would like some clarification though so I know this is the case or not.

by liggerz87 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I know this wont help but have you tried a vpn on steam and see if that makes a difference sorry not helpful 

by

Hi @fatalist88,

We don't use any form of throttling or traffic management on our mobile network.

I would recommend contacting Steam and Origin support to see if they can help.

Thanks

James

by Davehillbo Investigator
Investigator

I’m having the exact same issue , I usually get about 40-50mb downstream with 4g, and Speedtest still report the same , yet as soon as I try download a file , it starts at about 8 and then settles to about 1.1 l. There is deffo throttling going on here and I am not happy 

by BelHeap
Explorer

I've been searching if others have faced these issues ever since lockdown. Performing a speed test on Google.com (they use M-lab) gives me 40-60 Mbps (5-8 Mbps), speedtest.net gives me a little less. But a lot of gaming clients and other apps have shot down 5x the usual.

Investigator

even Netflix and amazon prime have taken the hit 

by

Hi @Davehillbo

Thanks for coming here.

As @James_B has advised, we don't use any form of throttling or traffic management on our mobile network.

Do we have any problems showing on our Network Status Checker for your area, that could affect your service.

Thanks.

Leanne.

by WillRoberts04
Explorer

Hi, 

I'm sorry but I just can't believe you guys in saying that its not getting throttled. It's not just game clients that's being affected, it's the same browsing the web/ watching YouTube videos or streaming Netflix and Disney +. I've tried downloading files from chrome and they are also getting limited to 1.1 mbp/s. My speed tests are showing 40mbp/s download and 15mbp/s upload, I'm definitely not getting these speeds when trying to stream or download anything. This is a recent thing and has not always been the case. It can't be down to network traffic either otherwise the speed would dip up and down, not stay fixed at 1.1mbp/s.

I've tried using my phones network (not WIFI) to download things and it is way quicker using whatever 4g is in my area. Your network status checker comes back fine also.  

by

Hi there @WillRoberts04

Thanks for posting on the community,

If you give our Tech Gurus a call, they will be able to get this looked into for you.

Thanks,

Leanne.

Investigator

As Will is saying it's accross the board.

I do agree that you probably don't throttle users per se, however it is clear that EE are throttling streaming/downloading services. Hence why speed tests look great.

by BelHeap
Explorer

I wonder if there's a possibility that all the streaming and gaming services have throttled their services. I've seen that Netflix and YouTube will be bringing down streaming quality due to the current situation, and at least in the US, Steam is going to throttle their services, although latency should not be affected.

Investigator

I've called the tech gurus a couple of days ago. The lady on the phone was lovely however she didn't understand what Steam was or why I was USB hotspotting to my PC.

Investigator

Steam do not throttle bandwidth at all. 

Furthermore, you can freely switch between any servers world wide.

Needless to say I still get a solid 1.1Mbps

Investigator

It’s not just streaming or gaming . It’s any download. I’m trying to download windows 10 and it’s getting about1mb down 

Investigator

Sorry Dave, just to be clear when I talk about Steam I am talking about Downloading - the ping is perfect.

Investigator

EE you really need to get this resolved , Im homeworking at the moment and you are really starting to affect my work output.

by

Hi @Davehillbo

If you can report this to our Tech Gurus on 150, they are the best people to get this investigated for you if this is happening with a number of sites and apps.

Thanks.

Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.