by Eggman Investigator
Investigator

EE Osprey MIFI not working with Amazon firestick ?

I bought this mifi unit a couple of years ago and it still works well with download speeds of up to 60 + Mbps if I turn off the HMA Vpn according to 'Test my net' site and about 23 Mbps down with the Vpn on. I don't know that much about this sort of thing but thought that was good if the speed test was accurate. According to the units instructions it's actually an Alcatel ONETOUCH LINK Y855 Mobile WiFi Device. I recently bought an Amazon firestick and when I connected it to my WiFi it said 'strong signal' and was surprised when it kept freezing up and buffering if that's the correct term. I saw a post from GreatW from here https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4GEE-WiFi/I-have-4GEE-Home-router-doesn-t-work-with-Firestick-other/td... that I thought was my solution but I now think is not. Strangely, I have an old Galaxy S4 phone on the '3' network that when turn to 'hotspot'  will run the Firestick ? I actually put my name to a landline internet service last night but might cancel if my 'mifi' can handle it. Any ideas appreciated. One last thing do EE do any wireless Internet service better than my Alcatel with unlimited data please ?

16 REPLIES 16
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: EE Osprey MIFI not working with Amazon firestick ?

Hi @Eggman 

Are you using your firestick with your VPN? Have you tried without your VPN active? 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Eggman Investigator
Investigator

Hello mate, thanks for the reply. In reply to your question I could only say that I don't think so. I turn the vpn on or off from the taskbar on my laptop and it's on all the time unless I check 'my data' on the EE site where I can't get in with the vpn on. However, that said I didn't think, but don't know for certain, if having the vpn on the laptop would have any effect on the communication between the firestick and the mifi unit, I'm fairly sure there's no encryption on the mifi unit or I wouldn't be able to get into the 'my data' part of the EE site I think. Do you think the data speeds I quoted in my first post are realistic btw ? I just had a thought, I don't usually have the laptop on when I was trying the firestick if that makes any difference.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Eggman 

The difficulty with VPN speeds is the number of connections and server you are connected with. It will likely drop and rise with demand. 

I thought from your first post you were using the VPN with your firestick. Your speed seems fine, but if you are using the internet at the same time as streaming HD you might start to see some slow down over 4G. 

You are also the old yellow router, so you might be pushing it to it's limits! 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Eggman Investigator
Investigator

Thanks again, my router is white mainly white and with a green band around the middle of it with EE printed on the back of it if it matters but it does show 'strong signal' in the firestick settings and with the download alleged speeds I quoted I don't understand why I get the 'buffering' symbol every 30 seconds or so and it shows this for minutes in between a short burst of film. I don't use any other devices while I'm trying to use the firestick btw. Amazon doesn't seem to say the stick uses anything like the data the the speed tester shows as available on the mifi unit and I never saw my old Galaxy phone as being fast as a hotspot tether' though tbh, I have no idea how fast it is in reality. In the post by GreatW I quoted he suggested switching unit to ipv4 only but I'm fairly sure my mifi won't do ipv6 anyway, are there quicker mifi units than mine 'cause I've either got to get a quicker one or carry on with the fibre connection I've asked for. Sorry to tie you up with this problem of mine, your assistance is appreciated.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Eggman.

Do you have any other EE devices that have trouble with data speeds?

Are you only getting slow speeds with the Firestick or is it everything you do on the device?

Jon

by Eggman Investigator
Investigator

Hello,

let me start by saying that I live on a small farm just inside the M 25 and that I can see the transmitter tower on the hill opposite me across the valley in between and that it's only about 1 k away, there's also another transmitter about 400 m away to the south and this is why I've always thought i got a strong signal. In my first post I said that according to 'test my net' site my download speed was up to 60 Mbps last night and this is the only EE device I have. I've never used any thing the consumes as much data as a firestick before but would have thought that the speed indicated, if accurate, by the test site would be more than sufficient. I have an old Galaxy S4 phone that when 'hotspot' is activated seems to handle the firestick OK though it is on the 3 network, I don't know how to test the speed of the phone connection. I did wonder, can you see my previous posts on this forum ? I thought someone told that EE did an unlimited data deal but I don't know if the was a fixed line or a mobile type device ? I suppose I could get an unlimited data deal for my S 4 but would rather keep the two things separate really. My mifi can stream YouTube easily but just manages about 30 secs of film through the firestick before buffering for the next 3 mins and then repeats this, any ideas ?  

by

Hi @Eggman.

EE don't do an unlimited data plan on mobile devices, just on home broadband.

Have you checked our Network status checker to see if there are any problems, even intermittent ones?

Jon

by Eggman Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Jon,

I really don't think there's any network problem other than it just don't get on with the firestick. Do EE do home broadband through cell station access or is it just fixed line or fibre please and thanks for your help with this btw. I'll try the network checker too btw.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

EE Home BB is over a fixed BT-based landline.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Eggman Investigator
Investigator

Thank you for that,

I'll have a look at the EE home BB service. I read on a site today that maybe the incompatibility between EE mobile BB and the Amazon firestick may be due to what servers EE used, this is way over my head but would it make any sense to you at all ?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No. What servers could it possibly be? Maybe it's to do with the EE mobile network using Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB. This only affects incoming accesses which I would not expect of a Firestick.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Eggman Investigator
Investigator

Once again thank you but as I said that's way over my head, would make sense to me if it was in Chinese tbh. I'll have to get a fixed line I think but thanks for your input through all this, I clicked your star by the way, cheers.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

by Eggman Investigator
Investigator

XRaySpex,

I'd have to say that I still don't fully understand the tech of your post but it did give me an idea that has ended with the resolution of my problem ! I have previously had to turn off my H.M.A. vpn to check my EE data balance and put it down to the fact that I was connecting through different I.P. addresses that the E.E. site didn't recognise. So, in a last desperate attempt I wondered that if I connected my EE Osprey mifi unit by USB lead to the computer and put the WiFi network setting on the laptop into  'flight mode' the internet connection would be Ethernet ( correct me if I'm wrong please). By running this input through the H.M.A. vpn and configuring the computer in settings to 'hotspot' and then pointing the Amazon firestick to this WiFi source I was hoping it wouldn't recognise the EE server as the source even though EE mifi signal still shows on the firestick network options, and, much to my surprise it worked perfectly ! In fact it works very well, even whilst steaming a film at the moment I'm still getting a download speed of 20 Mbps according to 'Test my net' site. Still patting myself on the back here. My remedy could probably be phrased better I think, overall I hope it's of benefit to others with this type of problem, thanks Spex. 

by

Thanks for letting us know you got it working @Eggman 🙂

Hopefully if another user has a similar problem they can use your advice!

Jon

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Can't say I understood much of that but it's nowt to do with what I talked about.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.