by MonsterMonster Investigator
Investigator

EE Osprey Data Usage Incorrect

I took delivery of my EE 4Gee Mifi on a 64GB pay monthly contract on 13th Jan. I gather this device is known as an Osprey (black square thing with yellow edge, not the mini version). I haven't done much with it other that just light browsing and speed testing. Whilst logged on to the router interface to observe the signal strength the usage count had increased by about 1GB within two minutes and kept counting. I know my device (laptop) was the only thing attached.

Today after moving the device to a different location in the house after being off for several hours I noticed just now after 6.5 hours I have used 57.4GB. Again, my laptop is the only device attached and confirmed, I've been visiting mostly the EE Community pages and no streaming. I've just logged on to the EE site to check my usage and it says I have 61.2GB free. Yet the router "Connection Status" reports using 70.4GB in total over 3 days and 4 hours. Clearly something is wrong as it should stop at 64GB. I can gurantee nothing is actually being downloaded in vast quantities.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Investigator
Solution

Re: EE Osprey Data Usage Incorrect

I've made two changes. Turned off the ADSL router but I cannot see how this would directly affect the Osprey as they are physically separated, different SSID and more important have different IP4 subnets. However, the other change was that I had installed the My EE App thinking that it was just a gateway into my account for billing and information not realising that it's designed to be installed on an EE 'phone and monitor its usage; my phone is on Three which had ocassional connnect bact to the ADSL WiFi. Now, there is no way on this Earth that the ADSL would be able to download several Gb's in a few minutes being 800k. So I'm thinking the app was measuring WiFi\Three packets and converting them to Gb's but I do not see how that affects the Osprey as the MyEE account shows correct usage.

Anyhow, the current situation is that the Osprey is showing normal live usage figures but still shows 82GB as the rolling monthly usage. The bottom line is that my EE account online shows the correct\expected figures. Maybe it'll remain a mystery!

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

What else do you have on your LAN? That sounds like local LAN activity, not mobile data down/uploaded from/to the mobile network.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

@XRaySpeXThere is nothing other than my laptop. What's weird is that the device thinks I've gone over my 64GB allowance, 57GB of that in 6.5 hours today, yet the website says I have 61.2GB left.In fact during most of the 6.5 hours my laptop was set to my ADSL WiFi which has different SSID and security and physically separate so that I could print.

Even on the LAN side the only there is no heavy activity.

So far I'm only testing the Osprey just to see what signal strength I get, I haven't even tried anything heavy just yet. It's as if the Osprey is, as you say, counting something else and getting it wrong by several factors.

Investigator

In fact since my original post the Osprey has increased my usage stat by 6GB to 76GB. That's 12GB over my monthly limit yet I'm connected just fine!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It must be LAN only activity as it's not clocking against your mobile data allowance..

What are the Gateway IPs of the ADSL router & of the MBB router?

If you connect your lappy to the MBB router & switch the ADSL router off, does the "Connection Status" usage still keep going up?

I'll power up my unused Osprey tomorrow & see what you are reading.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator
Solution

I've made two changes. Turned off the ADSL router but I cannot see how this would directly affect the Osprey as they are physically separated, different SSID and more important have different IP4 subnets. However, the other change was that I had installed the My EE App thinking that it was just a gateway into my account for billing and information not realising that it's designed to be installed on an EE 'phone and monitor its usage; my phone is on Three which had ocassional connnect bact to the ADSL WiFi. Now, there is no way on this Earth that the ADSL would be able to download several Gb's in a few minutes being 800k. So I'm thinking the app was measuring WiFi\Three packets and converting them to Gb's but I do not see how that affects the Osprey as the MyEE account shows correct usage.

Anyhow, the current situation is that the Osprey is showing normal live usage figures but still shows 82GB as the rolling monthly usage. The bottom line is that my EE account online shows the correct\expected figures. Maybe it'll remain a mystery!

by Robfm Investigator
Investigator

Normal just Lenovo ideapad 110s. very occasionally Dell desk top. And even
less occasionally my wifes Lumia 435 which operates on Orange and the wifi
on EE. No streaming activated.

3.33GB upload in 10 days simply impossible. So why is Osprey showing it.
by Robfm Investigator
Investigator

Late to the party but I have a similar issue, though not completely the same. My Osprey is measuring the data but is showing far more Upload than download. I rarely upload anything just emails etc. Contacted EE today and the guys attitude was simply, 'if you are not exceeding your data usage what's the problem.

He said 'we only have your word for it you don't upload'. You can imagine I was livid. I have reported the issue.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Robfm and welcome to the community.

What devices are connected to your Osprey?

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

I ended up replacing the Osprey with a Huawei B315s-22 wireless router and also removed the EE App and everything has been fine. I believe the Osprey has issues which apparently still hasn't been resolved. The main reason for choosing the the Huawei was to allow me to connect external arials for a better signal (which I've yet to do as the standard signal seems decent enough here in the sticks).

by
EE Employee

Hi @MonsterMonster and welcome back.

Thank you for updating us on your experiences with the Osprey.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Robfm Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for your response, I will have a look. It's ridiculous that EE clearly know there is an issue, how can any subscriber be happy their data usage is correct. Are we suppose to just trust EE. Clearly by their Techs comments they don't trust us.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.