Highlighted
by RKB Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Does hdvoice cost more to use or use from my data allowance?

I made a phone call today and I noticed "hdvoice" in small bright letters on my screen. I hadn't noticed this before. I think it's a new occurrence. I was just surprised and somewhat worried, too. It seems to be a new feature to my area - as my phone hasn't changed. Yes I'm 4g LTE. I wondered if I'd made an inadvertent unknowing setting change which might incur me more cost or extra data use. But i hadn't done so.. I looked it up and it seems that it didn't come about by me doing anything to my phone. It is increased voice call clarity which doesn't cost me more and nor does it use extra data from my data allowance. It sounds really good - in more ways than one! Still, I'd appreciate confirmation from somebody in the know that this is indeed so, please. 

https://newsroom.ee.co.uk/ee-launches-enhanced-hd-voice-to-enable-highest-quality-phone-calls-on-the...

-------------------------------------------------
I'm an ex PC, home phone & BB user.
I'm now a Mob phone & Tablet user.
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Does hdvoice cost more to use or use from my data allowance?

It's still a voice call & costs the same as a voice call just as do WiFi Calling & 4G Calling.

All of those & MMS may very well use the data network to to perform their function but in doing so they consume none of your data allowance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

It's still a voice call & costs the same as a voice call just as do WiFi Calling & 4G Calling.

All of those & MMS may very well use the data network to to perform their function but in doing so they consume none of your data allowance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Mine was a voice call that came up as "hdvoice". It wasn't a video call. Is that still MMS then? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, MMS are what's commonly called picture msgs. They are nowt to do with calls but I was just making the point to be fully inclusive as I could that just like these extended methods of calling they also use the data network but not allowance to assist their function. 

Established Contributor

Thanks, now it all makes sense AND I'm reassured. I hadn't even known about hd voice before, nor that it was a new standard feature rolling out on EE. Now I know!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome Smiley Happy! Glad I could be of assistance.

1 way to look it is that EE have only 1 tariff for making calls, whatever mechanism is used to make them.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I see you have already got an answer to this but I thought I would add a bit more detail.

Native Network Voice calls (ie through native phone dialler using a phone number) can operate at a number of different qualities depending on what the network you are on supports, what the called party supports, local network conditions and all sorts of factors. 

HD Voice is basically a marketing term for a call of technical qualities that meet a certain threshold. There is also "Super HD Voice" and similar terms for calls that meet an even higher technical threshold.

Calls over 2G/3G operate over the circuit switched system. Calls over 4G (VoLTE) are data calls over IP but, as others have said, are billed as voice calls. 

Only calls using "over the top" apps like Whatsapp/FB use data in a way that is measured.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.