by BenB1 Investigator
Investigator

Do EE signal boxes provide a data signal?

I have spoken to two advisors in technical support who have both told me that the EE signal boosters are voice only and not for data. To get data when in the vicinity of one you need to connect to the wifi.

This is somewhat annoying when I do have, for example, one bar of 4G and go into a customers house with a signal box and end up loosing data completely, resulting in them digging out their router password.

A friend has Cisco 3331 signal boxes at his house and at work and says with 100% confidence that he gets data through them. If he turns off wifi on his phone, it drops to 3G (via the booster) and he has full internet capability.

Is it possible two advisors can get it wrong??

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Do EE signal boxes provide a data signal?

@BenB1  Yes you should get dara through it.

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @BenB1.

You will be able to get data through a signal box, limited at a 3G connection, so what your friend is saying is correct.

Jon

by BenB1 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Jon_k

Why would two separate technical support advisors tell me otherwise?

I thought it was a bit strange as the phone says 3G.

Would you have any idea what the problem could be? Is my phone at fault, or the sim or something else?

Normal 3G works if I turn 4G off, just not when connected to a signal box.

I have tried resetting all settings on the phone, but that hasnt helped. I have an iPhone 8.

Many thanks.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Isn't there still an ongoing issue with EE signal boxes and iPhone cellular data connections due to EE now switching over to iPv6 on all iPhones?

by

Hi @BenB1.

There isn't necessarily a fault, but the iPhone 8 won't be compatible to use data with a signal box.

I'd advise using WiFi Calling where possible.

Jon

by BenB1 Investigator
Investigator

Oh right. What makes them incompatible? 

I dont mind using wifi calling, the problem I have is when the phone connects to signal boxes resulting in me losing all data connectivity even if I have it when not connected to the booster.

if there was a way of stopping the phone connecting to them I’d be happy.

by

Hi @BenB1.

It's because iPhones run on iPv6 as @Profile closed mentioned, and this can't be changed.

The only way to stop the phone connecting to a signal box is to unplug the box, which I understand will be difficult if it's not yours.

Jon

by BenB1 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for all your help.

is this all iPhones or just newer ones? I ask because my friend who uses data through them also uses iPhones.

by

It's mainly newer ones @BenB1.

I believe iPhone 7 onward will be affected.

Jon

by Profile closed
Not applicable

It's also only if you have upgraded the iPhone to iOS 12.0 or higher.  Anything below that and iPv6 isn't enabled on them.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.