by KevofKent Investigator
Investigator

Diabolical 3g/4g service in Canterbury, Kent

3 separate locations, 1 outdoor, 1 ground floor indoor and 1 third floor on Saturday 28th and I suffered the worst signal I've ever come up against. Canterbury - approx 250,000 population, main precinct area and 'no service'. BT Exchange in 'line of sight' the whole length of this central area with a big array of masts on this 4 storey building but not a signal!!!!!!!!.

Oversubscribed or just not enough coverage investment??

Big player bad service!!

Anyone else encountered?

16 REPLIES 16
by
EE Employee

Re: Diabolical 3g/4g service in Canterbury, Kent

Hi @KevofKent and welcome to the community.

Are you still seeing any issues today at all?

Please do check the network status checker for your area as they may be issues.

Many thanks,

Lee

by TeeHaq Investigator
Investigator

You can always check the service status via, 

http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/ee-everything-everywhere

A good website which can show you if anyone else around you experiencing the same issues.

Do let us know how long your issues lasted for please. 

Investigator

Hi Lee,

i was only in Canterbury Saturday 28th and dont live there.

I was in exactly the same spot about 3 months ago and the signal reception was just the same. There’s simply something very wrong with EE performance there

by
EE Employee

Hi @KevofKent

We did have a mast down on Saturday near the university which was fixed and back up and running on Sunday.

Which part of Canterbury were you experiencing the issues?

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

CT1 2NY, CT1 2AT and CT1 2TF. 

CT1 2NY had the same zero reception 3 months ago

by
EE Employee

Hi @KevofKent

I will certainly pass this over to the relevant department to look into.

Many thanks,

Lee

by mattyf Investigator
Investigator

Canterbury seems to be a bad area for most mobile operators, but although EE say their 4G coverage is good in the central Canterbury area, my experience is very similar to yours. Most publicly accessible areas in the city centre, have unreasonably bad 4G connectivity. This goes for Westgate Gardens, Dane John Gardens, Abbots Mill Garden, also the whole length of Canterbury High Street. To all intents, the whole of central Canterbury!

For the last 2 or 3 weeks, I’ve been in communication with EE, to try and nail the problem. There seems to be no problems with the 4G signal strength according to my devices, but the quality of the data modulated onto it must be absolute rubbish (if, indeed, anything at all). I installed the OpenSignal app on a couple of devices some while ago, and have been wandering. The results were quite interesting – when in close proximity to a couple of the EE transceiver towers, the signal strength unsurprisingly showed as being at the maximum level, but I couldn’t even successfully run the Speedtest app. It returned: “Error. Test failed to complete. Please check your connection and try again”!

In fairness to EE, as I said at the top, central Canterbury seems to be a “bogey” area for most service providers. EE normally have the best coverage in most places, but are currently being out-trumped by O2 in this locality. My investigations have lead me to the fact, that you’re better trying to use EE’s 3G service in this area at present.

EE are actually aware of the problem, and have plans to better the service here, but it’s probably not going to happen any time soon!

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @mattyf

Thanks for posting on the community.

It would be great if you could let us know how you get on with our technical support team.

You can also report any service problems on the EE network status checker.

Thanks, Leanne 🙂

by nickj
Explorer

Same experience in Canterbury, most recently today and every time I’ve been there during the last couple of months, in the central pedestrian area.

Reception appears normal with 4G but data speed is non-existent.

by mattyf Investigator
Investigator

Hi @nickj. Did you try the 3G service? The 4G service has been unusable in the area for some time now.

I'd be interested to get other users' experiences on this issue.

MF

by nickj
Explorer

Good idea, I’ll try 3G next time I’m there.

by mattyf Investigator
Investigator

A quick update for anyone following this thread. I can confirm EE’s 3G service in Canterbury is pretty good. I had my device set for that rather than 4G earlier today, and had a reliable connection in most parts of the city.

I’ve now been wandering with PAYG sim cards for the other two main players (O2 and Vodafone) and the result is quite surprising. The best provider for 4G in the centre of the city is currently Vodafone, followed by O2, then EE languishing in last place (and I never thought I’d have said that)!

As I said in a previous post, EE are aware of the problem and I’m sure they will bounce back here in due course. For now though, set your device for “3G only” when in the city, to get the most from EE’s service!

MF

by Sbundock
Visitor

I was talked into change from 02 to EE last year by EE.  Biggest mistake ever made.  To make things worse i got 4 phones connected.  I can never get signal in canterbury, especially the town centre, wetgate, st dunstans, langton school area and st thomas’s hill.  How get i terminate my contract based on this.  When travelling over south east its the same issue - no bar or 1 bar.  Cant wait to leave

by
EE Employee

Hi @Sbundock and welcome to the community.

Have you spoken to our technical team to look into your issue?

Many thanks,

Lee

by Razorback73
Explorer

It’s never been good for EE. Over the past 2 years it hasn’t changed. Reception is appalling in the centre, and 4G sucks everywhere. If you make a phone call on 4G, you’ll be lucky if the recipient can even hear you. Always got to use 3G. I don’t think EE have any actual honest plans to do anything about it. I’ve seen them promise improvements over and over, or tell the age old lie of “we’ve had a mast down” or some other tech issue. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Afternoon @Razorback73

Thanks for coming to the community.

Have you checked our EE network status checker for any reported issues?

If nothing is showing you can report issues, so we can get this looked into.

Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.