by Gwadadoggy
Explorer

Data

EE has a real problem with it's monitoring of data usage which was obvious during my first month with them in 2017. I queried the usage which ran out super fast but had no satisfactory response. The same thing happened again this month when they claimed I had used my 10GB allowance after 2 weeks. I have a 3rd party data usage app on my phone which was telling me I'd used only 3.7 GB.

EE ignored the reading from the data app and they can always argue fluctuations in your usage and It's difficult to argue your case with them but in my case a real problem for them became apparent and it goes back to a bill for November which gave data use as 5.27 GB. The thing is, I was in Africa for all but 3 days of that month and the idea that I used over 5 GB in 3 days is unthinkable.

I spoke to Customer Support and Technical Support and nobody was able to give me an explanation. They just had no answer. I insisted that I wanted to follow this up by starting a compaints procedure by email and continue to press for an answer but EE quickly gave me 10 GB extra data for this month and then offered to release me from my contract free of charge with 7 months still to run as a goodwill gesture.

Either there is some fault in the system which gives faulty indicators or maybe EE are in the business of adding data charges to what are otherwise competitive tariffs in the interests of increasing revenue.

This is a problem that seems to have been around for a while. I am off to another network but my message to others is make sure you ask the right questions if you think this is happening to you.

5 REPLIES 5
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Data

What phone do you have?

You say you use a third party app to monitor this but the app won't show every data.

I'd be interested to know what your phone states you have used. Is it an Android or iPhone?

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@BrendonH: Doesn't the phone itself keep its own record of Mobile Data Usage?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@XRaySpeX yes but depending what phone you have on iPhone is cumulative.

You have to reset each month. On android you can set your refresh date and it'll automatically keep track.

But it doesn't keep track of every single thing on the device so some system apps it won't. That'll be same for third party data tracker.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, wrong tag.

@Gwadadoggy: Doesn't the phone itself keep its own record of Mobile Data Usage?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Gwadadoggy
Explorer

iphone 6s. As you say the data amounts recorded are cumulative. It was no help to me in this case as its been running since the phone was new

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.