by CherryPrincess Investigator
Investigator

Data usage when not on phone

My EE phone is showing data used when it couldn't possibly be using data. 

Last month the data was used up really quickly, I then realised that I had the Wifi assist still switched on, so I turned it off, and turned all the apps off from data too, apart from 'find my phone'..

I noticed on my usage that once again this month my bill was showing that the mobile data had been used, especially late at night, when the phone most definetly hadn't been used.

So earlier on I turned the mobile data off completely (on iphone).  

Not long ago I was topping up my phone via the computer, when I checked on my itemised bill, it showed that the top up had gone through successfully, and that 2mins of data had been used - the phone is on wifi, the data is turned off completely, how has it used data - baffles me.

I don't understand how the data could be being used.  I've only been with EE for three months, and I have used more than I ever did with O2.  On this plan I have 4GB, on O2 I had 2GB and never used it all each month.

Something is certainly wrong.  Also it is showing that I used the data at 20:48 on the 28th March - the time currently is 20:18

Any help would be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Data usage when not on phone

Hi, 

You phone uses data even if you disable data as apps and the OS report back, your location etc. 

If you check your data app under setting it will tell you what us using your data. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Epsonny Investigator
Investigator

Hi there.  I have just posted a similar issue with my daughters data usage and totally baffled what could be using it up each month. This never used to happen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated to understand what used up the data each day/week/month. 

by
EE Employee

Good Morning @CherryPrincess

Thanks for joining the EE Community! Smiley Happy

There's lots of additional settings on your device that can affect data usage.

I've especially found since the last couple of updates that my data usage has increased - which is also draining my battery a lot quicker.

If you go to Settings > Privacy > there's two things to look at in here;

1. Location Services
  2. Diagnostics & Usage

You can toggle Location Services Off altogether or manage for each application and then set Diagnostics & Usage to Don't Send.

One of out Stars has also written a really good post - Ways to save your EE data - this is really helpful and has some good hints and tips on.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

Investigator

I checked the location services last night and it was switched off. I don't have facebook, twitter, or any other kind of social media apps on my phone, so there weren't may apps in the location services section.

App background refresh was also off.

I will see how much usage I am getting through for the rest of the month.

I reset all the stats on Tuesday night, so I'll be able to tell which what is being used.

I am also curious about how the itemisation on my account works. Just that I logged in yesterday morning and it had showed that I had used data at 8:31am. Last night I logged in again to double check what had been used. The 8:51 data usage had disappeared and one for 4:51 had appeared.

Do you combine the days data together?

by
EE Employee

Hello @CherryPrincess

Are you a pay monthly or pay as you go customer?

Let us know how it goes after monitoring your data usage this month!

Just to let you know the data usage that shows on your device may vary slightly to what shows on your account.

Investigator

Pay as you go £15.00 monthly pack that gives you 4GB data, 250 mins & unlimited texts

Will let you know how I go on.

Thanks for your help.

by
EE Employee

No problem! Smiley Very Happy

Speak soon.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.