by lew-boz
Explorer

Data being used up quickly

So every month i have 40g of data to use in my plan. I have had this plan for the last 15 months and I have used it the same way for the last 15 months. When I am at work doing night shifts, I turn on my personal hotspot and use the data on my laptop to watch netflix. Recently "this month" I have already used up my allowance and I have 12 days left until it renews my data.. I havent done anything differntly so my data shouldnt be going this quickly. I checked today and I had 5 gig of data left. I was on Netflix for five minutes and I got a text message stating i was out of data... How is it even possible to do 5 gig of date in five minutes.. Ive now had to pay £12.99 for another 5 gig to get me through until my data renews.. Anyone got any ideas as its happening to my partners phone as well and she doesnt stream netflix or watch anything really unless shes connected to WIFI..

4 REPLIES 4
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Data being used up quickly

What phone do you have?

I know on an iPhone at least, its possible to check what services, apps are using data and how much they are using.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @lew-boz,

Welcome to the EE Community.

That's great advice from @Fatboy71, please let us know what type of phone you are using so we can help.

Thanks

James

by lew-boz
Explorer

I have an IPhone SE. I know where my Data is being used that’s not the problem. The problem is my data is going a lot faster than ever before 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @lew-boz,

There are many factors that could be causing your increased data usage. 

Most streaming apps and websites will automatically increase the playback quality of the stream as your data speeds increase, which in turn increases the amount of data you are using. I think this is the most likely cause.

Most streaming services allow you to change the default streaming quality in your settings.

Netflix for example can use up to 7GB per hour depending on the playback quality.

If you would like to look into this in more detail, please get in touch with technical support and they'll be more than happy to help.

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.