by ImSonia Investigator
Investigator

Data Vanished, But I Didn't Use It!

I topped up on 10th, and didn't use my phone until 14th. I took my mum to an hour long medical appointment at 1:30pm. I made a phone call at 1:40pm (this is on the itemised bill), while I waited in the waiting room, then turned on data, and went onto facebook. After 20mins I got a data useage message, but thought nothing of it, because it was only 20 minutes, and I thought it was a delayed alert, or something. I was sat in the waiting room, so couldn't watch any videos or stream anything, so just shrugged it off. It was only Facebook, and then I flicked into gmail and composed an email, afterall. I was interuppted by the Dr, and she waited while I turned off the Data, and followed her in to the end of the appointment with my mother.

When I got home, I went on wi-fi, and just checked my account. It said that, in those max 40 mins, at a push 45mins, I'd used nearly 7.5GB of Data! I have only 147MB left!  I have been ill, and haven't used the phone since, so only managed to chase it today.

The guy on the phone said I used it all on 14th... but... the itemised useage says I used it at 11:35pm that night - yet the call was logged at the correct time of 1:40pm! I was in bed snoring by 11pm! I asked him to tell me why Facebook, and composing a Email, would eat nearly 7.4GB of data in 40minutes?, and he just kept insisting that I must have been streaming stuff or "generally browsing". He said his IT guys said I was "generally browsing, then in  Gmail", after Facebook. I wasn't...it was facebook, then straight to gmail on an always open tab in the Browser.  I was in the Doctor's office after that, and can prove it.

I asked for a print out to be sent to me that shows what times and how long I was "generally browsing", and Facebooking, and in Gmail. He said they can't give it to me, and it could be a handset fault, but I DID use the Data. .... However, I KNOW. 40mins of Facebook and composing a text-only Email, does not use nearly all that Data! 

Thing is, I was not going to use the phone much in the month, as I'm away in Sept for 4 days, and wanted to use the data then. I'm on benefits and can't afford to pay £15 again - and even more reluctant to pay that, for just 3GB top-up, when my entire package was only £15 for 7.5GB! 

Anyone got any suggestions on how I can either get a refund, or have the Data added... even a little bit...back?

I just KNOW I haven't used this much Data. I always turn on and turn off Data, as I worry about running out, so much so, my friends tease me about it!   

Anyone? 😞

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Data Vanished, But I Didn't Use It!

@ImSonia   Have you allowed Apps to run in the background?  If you have Facebook will continue to use data even if the device is in your pocket.    Facebook is a data hog and will use shed loads of data especially if you allow it to run in the background.  

by ImSonia Investigator
Investigator

No. Never had this problem before, and I only access Facebook and Gmail through the Brower, I have never used it any other way.  

I actually have several OCD's, and its one of my compulsions to turn off data, and put it on Airplane Mode, when not in use, and I end up checking the phone 3 times in the next hour to make sure. 

If it would be a background thing, it would have happened before. 

It is an MTV Trax pack that I have, if that's any help to know. 

by ImSonia Investigator
Investigator

@Chris_B -  I got a solution! 🙂  

It seems that this is a known issue with MTV Trax Pack, and my perserverence with Customer Services paid off.  I was on the phone for over an hour this morning, and promised a Manager callback, as the chap wanted me to pay the same price for the 7.5GB, and only get 3GB!...He was polite at all times, but it was not the right solution. So I refused and requested politely, a Manager callback... that never happened. 

I just rang back to chase it, and spoke to a lovely, really friendly lady, called Lauren, who looked into my case, and agreed something wasn't right, and after talking to her Manager, we came to a suitable resolve. She is a Superstar!  🙂 

Thank you, and Well done Lauren, for restoring my faith in EE! ... I was most definitely faltering for a while there! 🙂 

Thanks for your help too @Chris_B 🙂 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ImSonia   I didn’t do anything you did all the chasing with this and well done for sticking to your guns.  

by
EE Employee

Glad you got to the bottom of this issue @ImSonia.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.