by Farmer Investigator
Investigator

Connecting a router to 4G router

We have a 4GEE mobile router and have just had electric heaters installed.They have a router which is connected by ethernet cable to the 4GEE router.So we can programme the heating by Heat App on our i-pad etc.Works fine indoors via wi-fi but will not connect from outside via 4G. Help please.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

You need Port Forwarding

I don't think the device which controls the heaters is a router. it is a WiFi Controller which can be controlled from over the Net via a BB router & Wifi.

To do this from away from home your MBB router needs to open the port to the heaters Controller. This is done by the Port Forwarding function of a router but not many MBB routers, certainly not EE's, have this feature whereas most Home BB routers do.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Connecting a router to 4G router

@Farmer  Does the app your using to control the heating say it can work over cellular data ?  or is it only a network connected devices that can connect to the heater ?   Does it allow remote access?  

by Farmer Investigator
Investigator

Re: Connecting a router to 4G router

Yes it does allow cellular access.Worked fine with net gear router.The
installation company did port forwarding but cannot get it to work only on
wi fi.Not remotely.
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

You need Port Forwarding

I don't think the device which controls the heaters is a router. it is a WiFi Controller which can be controlled from over the Net via a BB router & Wifi.

To do this from away from home your MBB router needs to open the port to the heaters Controller. This is done by the Port Forwarding function of a router but not many MBB routers, certainly not EE's, have this feature whereas most Home BB routers do.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Re: You need Port Forwarding

XRaySpeX wrote: 

True. I also suspect that the underlying problem will be the same that many CCTV, IoT products etc have on EE's network with all incoming connections being blocked. All to do with the public IP's allocated to end-users (even when using something like Dyn). 

I don't think there's a way around this without getting a specific M2M tariff from EE business, or switching to Three who I think I've heard don't have the same restriction.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: You need Port Forwarding

Also the EE network uses a Carrier-Grade NAT (CGNAT) system where the public IP is shared between many devices within EE's network. So your IP doesn't uniquely id your router.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.