by bigjay Investigator
Investigator

Connecting a Raspberry Pi to Mobile Hotspot

I am trying to connect a Raspberry Pi to my mobile hotspot, but can't.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 as does my colleague, however he is with O2, and can connect no problem.

Samsung have said it is due to the Mobile Network settings, and state that i should have options for LTE/4G,3G and 2G, as does my colleague, however there is not an option for LTE on my phone.  Samsung believe this is the reason i cannot connect a Raspberry Pi to my hotspot.

Any Ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
by Haydon-Berrow Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: Connecting a Raspberry Pi to Mobile Hotspot

I'm very puzzled by this because you say you cannot connect your raspbery pi to your phone (as a hotspot) but then suggest that the connection from your phone to the phone-mast that is causing the difficulty. This doesn't make sense to me but I could be wrong.

Does your raspberry pi say it can't make a connection and does your phone report that the pi is connected?

by bigjay Investigator
Investigator

Its not easy to say, as the Raspberry Pi requires the SSID of the Phones Hotspot, together with the password.  This is programmed onto the Rpi SD card and forces the Rpi to look at startup.  We normally do this by directing it to our office router, and it works fine, as it does when directed to my colleagues (O2) phone.

Samsung are convinced it is the missing option of LTE which is causing the issue.

Rpi's cannot connect to a 5GHz network, only 2.4GHz, so i initially thought it was my mobile putting out a 5GHz hotspot.  It seems to be possible to change this is the US, but not here.

Have a look at configuring the hotspot on this link, https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00047789/?cid=uk_affiliate_webgains_73669_20180221&sour...

I havent got the option to change the output frequency only the channel.

by bigjay Investigator
Investigator

The network mode top option on my colleagues phone are LTE/WCDMA/GSM (Auto connect)

The network mode top option on my phone is 2G/3G/4G (Auto connect)

Admittedly my phone is much newer, but i dont think this is the reason for them being so different.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @bigjay,

Welcome back to the EE Community.

Don't worry about the mobile network settings, they won't have any affect on your mobile hotspot, other than reduced speeds if you don't have 4G selected.

Are you able to test another 2.4GHz device, to see if it can connect?

Thanks

James

by bigjay Investigator
Investigator

I can, but i'm not sure what else i have that is 2.4GHz.  Could you give me some pointers?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @bigjay,

Perhaps an older phone, laptop or tablet that doesn't support 5GHz connections?

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.