by greatape
Explorer

Confusing PAYG data options

I'm trying to help someone sort out a data bundle for their EE PAYG account, they only recently converted to PAYG from an all inclusive monthly payment account. All they require is to occasionally buy a short term add on for data usage. The options I can find seem very confusing and inconsistent.

First we found this page:
https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/billing-usage-and-top-up/call-text-and-data-charges/pay-as-you-go-pac...

This offers a basic £1 option that covers 100MB and last for 7 Days. Plus other £10 and £15 options that come with more data and days. For the basic option you text DP1 to 150.

Then there's this page:
https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/billing-usage-and-top-up/topping-up-and-balance/pay-as-you-go-add-ons...

This page offers "100MB Data for 7 days (£1.50) Text: 100MB WEEK to 150"

It gets more confusing, since switching to the PAYG sim she's been getting repeated text messages saying she's used up her data, buy more from as little as £3 and to click through to a page at http://add-on.ee.co.uk/text, but that page refuses to load when she's on Wi-Fi. And the "from as little as £3" bit doesn't tie with any of the other options we've found.

We also texted "ALL PACKS" followed by "DATA" to 150 to get a list of all options available, and the only data option it returned was "for £1 add 100MB 10 mins and 10 texts for 7 days. reply DP1". This didn't offer the more expensive related options listed along with £1 offer from the first page I mentioned.

So at the moment we've gone for the plan suggested by sending DATA to 150 and texted DP1, this still sends basic a confusing confirmation text explaining she'd lose any remaining add-on allowances and had to text "Yes" to confirm. After texting "Yes" back to confirm there was no confirmation message to confirm the data option had actually been added sucessfully, but a quick test by turning off Wi-Fi seems to suggest it is working.

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Confusing PAYG data options

@greatape wrote:

buy more from as little as £3 and to click through to a page at http://add-on.ee.co.uk/text, but that page refuses to load when she's on Wi-Fi.

You have to be OFF WiFi & on the mobile network to do that. You don't need data to do that as it only goes within the EE network not the wide Net.

That's what you should be using for occasional data.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @greatape,

Welcome to the EE Community.

The difference between pay as you go packs and pay as you go add-ons is that packs will automatically renew at the end of the 7 or 30 day period, while add-ons are a one off bundle.

You'll need to turn off WiFi when visiting any of the add-on purchase pages so the system can identify the pay as you go account.

To check the current pack and allowances, just text BALANCE to 150.

Hope this helps.

James

by greatape
Explorer

Thanks, after I posted my message this morning a confirmation text finally arrived over 8 hours after requesting the pack, so looks like all good to go for now.

The messages offering a chance to buy more for as little as £3 still seem confusing as that doesn't tie in with what we've actually set up, guess will have to try switching off Wi-Fi and accessing that link sometime.

by
EE Community Support Team

No problem @greatape

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If you only need the occasional data best to stop any packs renewing & eating up your credit by texting STOP PACK to 150 before you visit http://add-on.ee.co.uk/purchase (OFF WiFi) to buy your data add-on.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.