by ProtosUK
Explorer

Comparison between 4G data sim and Unlimited data phone sim speeds

Comparison between 4G data sim and Unlimited data phone sim speed

Hello, I currently have to use 4g data in place of home broadband due to restrictions where I live. I have both a 4G Mobile Data Plan ( which I shall refer to as MDP) and an Unlimited Data Phone Plan (which will be referred to as UDP). I hoped to use the UDP sim in place of the 4G MDP sim in the EE 4G Router. However when attempting to do so there is a significant drop in upload and download speed as can be seen by speed tests bellow! I am not aware of any speed throttling with the UDP.

For testing I insured the router was not moved between tests or between swapping over the sims. All tests were done using a LAN connection to my PC also. I also limited any background applications during testing to insure the most consistent results with no interference.

MDP Speed Test Results:

Result 1

Result 2

Result 3

UDP Speed Test Results:

Result 1

Result 2

Result 3

Failed to complete on first attempt - Second attempt yielded this:

Data Annalists

I am aware that my sample size is to low to draw a conclusion to the exact overall difference in speed. With the average Download and Upload speeds of

MDP - Download of 9.65Mb/s and an Upload of 5.40Mb/s

UDP - Download of 1.76Mb/s and an Upload of 0.33Mb/s

An overall increase of 540% Download Speed and 1600% Upload Speed for the MDP over the UDP.

Conclusion

It seems rather apparent to me despite the small sample size, that there are either some conflicts with the UDP and router setting or the UDP is indeed being throttled down. To my knowledge the latter is more likely the case however I would love to hear from others on their thoughts and knowledge of the subject.

I will continue to do more tests to see if the results follow these averages.

End note

Please correct me if I am wrong in any areas of this post. I am rather tired and could easily have overlooked something.

Thanks for reading

3 REPLIES 3
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: Comparison between 4G data sim and Unlimited data phone sim speeds

Hmmmmm, curious.

I've not noticed any throughput issues with the unlimited phone SIM, getting 772mbps 4G, albeit in a phone, the other week. I cannot see them (legally being able to) limit performance by device type either.

I'll do some more testing over the coming week...

by ProtosUK
Explorer

Thank you for your input Peter!

I don't get why performance is so bad in the router. It would be very interested to hear input on this from EE. It is very unfortunate that the performance is so bad as I am debating cancelling the UDP (still within the 14 day grace period) as it does not seem to be suitable for my needs.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @ProtosUK,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

All of our unlimited plans are un-throttled so you can access the fastest speeds that are available in the area.

Please get in touch with Customer Care so our Tech Gurus can look into this for you.

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.