by Skiff85 Contributor
Contributor

Can't gift Data

I seem to be having no end of problems with ee lately. So yesterday after a week of of being unable, I finally managed to upgrade my data sim, all of the data has vanished and I can no longer gift data from my phone contract.

With regards to the data vanishing, I am struggling to believe that in a single day (because the contract started yesterday so the data was fresh), I have used 6 Gb unknowingly but I am investigating whether this was used up via updates on my laptop/tablet.

In the meantime I wanted to gift data from my phone contract, but my upgraded sim (same number) has vanished from the app so cant gift it that way. I log in online and I can see and manage both sim's, but I get the message "All your accounts are below the 500mb minimum data gifting amount", ok, except on the very same screen it clearly states that my phone has 19.6GB left on 20GB.

I'm honestly starting to wish that I had just cancelled the contract and gone to another provider because over the last week or so EE has made it exceptionally difficult and frustrating to upgrade but at every turn the website and app are constantly smashing me in the face with banners telling me how I can now upgrade and of course existing customers get the best deals, and now I am being told I cant gift data because apparently 19.6GB is somehow a smaller number than the minimum of 500MB?!?!

13 REPLIES 13
by Skiff85 Contributor
Contributor

Re: Can't gift Data

This is still an ongoing issue. These last few weeks the service I have received from ee is atrocious. First they downgraded one of my sims instead of upgrading a completely different sim, then I couldn't upgrade either of the sims, then when I did upgrade my data sim, they set my data to zero, I then managed to solve that and get my phone sim upgraded too. Fast forward to now, I am in Spain and my data has run out, ok, I'm sure I will be able to gift that now right? I mean that was why I joined ee, because they said I could gift the data between sim cards, but no. The Data gifting option has still not reappeared in the app so I go online and get the same message "All your accounts are below the 500mb minimum data gifting amount" yet about 3cm away on the screen it clearly states that I have 39GB of data left on my phone sim.

I have attached a screenshot so you can see I'm not just being dumb and the info on the website is clearly wrong.

ee.png

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @Skiff85

I am sorry to hear this is still not resolved.

When you log into your My EE do you have full access? You can check this by seeing if you can view your bills. 

Are you aware of a bar being on the account to prevent you being able to purchase data add-ons on either SIMS?

Speak soon, 

Katie

by Skiff85 Contributor
Contributor

I can view my bills and I am not aware of there being any blocks to prevent me buying data add-ons.

by

Thanks for confirming this @Skiff85.

I would recommend speaking with our technical team who can complete a further diagnostic.

If this still can't be resolved with technical care, this will be escalated to our tech gurus. 

I am aware you are currently abroad and the chat option may be the best route for you. If you wish to use this option log into your My EE and await the chat invite.

Please keep me updated with the progress, 

Katie

by Profile closed
Not applicable

What type of plan are your data plans?  30 day, 12 month etc?

If the are 30 day plans, you cannot gift data to or from any type of 30 day plan.  The plans has to be at least 12 months.

by Skiff85 Contributor
Contributor

So assuming you were correct (and looking at the T's & C's for gifting, you appear to be), I have spoken to multiple ee representatives in the last few weeks and none of them have mentioned that, should they have not brought this up? I mean, they know exactly what contracts I am on, so you would hope they would know how their own service works...

My only problem with this, is that my phone has always been on a 12 month contract and my data sim has always been on a 30 day contract yet I have always been able to gift data to and from both sims. Now to confirm I was not imaging it or remembering wrong, I checked my bills as far back as they go (May 18)  and on that bill it shows that I have always had a 30 day contract for my data but I could still gift data between the 2 sims. See Below:

May Bill.png

by Profile closed
Not applicable

All I can see is that you have been lucky in the past being able to gift data to or from 30 day data plans as on this page, it mentions:

Gifting data: Gift to other pay monthly plans on the same account in increments of 500MB. Fair use policy applies when gifting large amounts of data 3 months in a row. No gifting to/from Apple Watches, 4GEE Home or 30 day 4GEE WiFi plans. Data not used in a month does not roll over, allowances are set back to zero at the start of each month. Data can only be used in accordance with the plan terms applicable to the receiving line. Only the account holder will be able to ‘gift’ data between lines on the account.

When I had a 30 day data plan with EE, I was not able to gift data to or from it.

by Skiff85 Contributor
Contributor

Luck is irrelevant. As I said, I understand that the terms state it can't happen on a 30 day contract but when I joined ee, I joined with the specific purpose of sharing the data across my devices and nobody told me otherwise. Surely it should be impossible for the system to allow otherwise, so how was I able to do so? I'd be interested to hear from an ee representative on this.

by

Hi @Skiff85

As the terms say, no data gifting is allowed to or from 30 day 4GEE WiFi plans.

We don't have access to your account here in the community so it's difficult to explain why you were able to do this before.

Our Mobile Care team will be able to answer your questions though.

Find out more about data gifting >

Chris 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Skiff85  Because you upgraded the system corrected itself.  As mentioned you was lucky it worked before but unfortunately it shouldn’t of been possible.  

by Skiff85 Contributor
Contributor

I feel like I shouldn't have to be the one to educate ee representatives on their own companies products but in this instance it appears I need to.

So sure, 4gee 30 day wifi plans are ineligible. I don't dispute that.

While all 4gee wifi sims are data sims, not all data sims are 4gee wifi sims. Likewise not all 30 day sims are 4gee wifi sims. My understanding is that 4gee wifi plans are contracts specifically designed and sold with a device to set up a wifi hotspot and the plans generally have a high amount of data on them. These are not the same as the standard data plans for tablets and the like

The post you are quoting states "No gifting to/from Apple Watches, 4GEE Home or 30 day 4GEE WiFi plans." but there is no mention of general data plans.

Now I see it does state "Gift to other pay monthly plans on the same account " but it does not state specifically that 30 day plans in general are ineligible.

So to lay out the info clearly, as far back as my bills go (may 2018) I have had a yearly phone sim and a 30 day essentials data sim.

Up until this month I have gifted myself data almost every month, dates and amounts as follow in case you can actually use this info:

11/03/19 - 8GB

04/02/19 - 7GB

15/01/19 - 5 GB

18/12/18 - 6GB

01/10/18 - 10GB

13/09/18 - 7GB

10/08/18 - 6GB

24/05/18 - 15GB

10/04/18 - 10GB

I have this info because each time I gifted data I would get a text confirming it so I assume ee has a digital copy somewhere for their record.

I have had a 30 day data sim at least a year and up until this month gifting was not a problem so I really don't want to hear that data sims/30 day sims are ineligible because clearly they aren't.

I am honestly losing respect for ee on a daily basis because all the representatives I speak are either clueless or contradict what the other representatives tell me, it does not inspire confidence in ee's customer service capabilities.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Skiff85   Perhaps EE have closed that loop hole as data gifting should only be to and from sims with a minimum 12 months contract. 

by

I've sent you a private message to get some more information from you, @Skiff85.

Please have a look and get back to me.

Thanks

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.