by Cedrik Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Can I use my EE sim only from my phone in a 4G router / dongle ?

Hello,

I'd appreciate if someone could confirm (or otherwise) if this is possible before I buy some extra gear to do this.

My scenario is as follows:

I live close to a 4G enabled mast, but the data rate I get is pretty low by the time it reaches my house. I'm looking to get a Router with a signal boosting antenna and would like to temporarily swap the Sim from my phone to the Router if I wanted a higher speed on occasion (if this plan would work !)

I understand that there are no issues with doing this with the Sim (which I have 20GB a month on), without needing to gety an EE 4G router set-up - which don't come with antenaa connections.

Thanks !

12 REPLIES 12
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Can I use my EE sim only from my phone in a 4G router / dongle ?

Hello @Cedrik yes you can use an EE mobile SIM in a router or dongle. You will not be able to make or receive calls but most devices do support SMS text messaging. 🙂

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Cedrik,

Thanks for joining the EE Community. Smiley Happy

I can see @Profile closed has already answered your question but don't hesitate to let us know if you need help with anything else.

James

Established Contributor

Thanks very much for your replies !

Good to hear, now I can look at suitable Routers and Antennae.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be appreciative to hear them. I'm getting typically -102dB best case scenario on 800 MHz, currently. 

I live close to the mast with line of sight upstairs in the house. I originally thought to get a dedicated signal booster set-up, but didn't fancy the necessary rooftop installation (considering it may not have worked out), so I'm looking at the kind of thing people use in caravans etc. (portable installation)

by

Hi @Cedrik,

I haven't had any experience with external antennae myself but one pitfall to look out for is connection type.

I believe there are a few different standards, so make sure it will fit your router's connection.

Hopefully some community members with experience of this type of setup will be able to offer you some advice.

Good luck! Smiley Happy

James

Established Contributor

Have bought a Huawei 4G router and an external antenna, will post here my findings if/when I get it up and running. 

by

Thanks for the update @Cedrik Smiley Happy

James

Established Contributor

To follow up,

The Huawei 310s I bought has worked very well with the EE Sim ands no configuration was required at all ! Unfortunately the external antenna only made a slight improvement to download data rates (from 10Mb/s to 15Mb/s), but it seems a solid connection.

Hey ho...

by

Glad it's working out for you @Cedrik Smiley Happy

James

by mhb1 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

This is very interesting as via online chat with EE rep I was told that the 20GB pm SIM only deal currently on offer at £21pm would not work with the SIM in a non EE 4G router. Can someone please clarify the true position.

by

Hi @mhb1,

It will work as long as the router is unlocked.

Thanks Smiley Happy

James

by mhb1 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Many thanks for your quick clarification of this issue.

by

No problem @mhb1 Smiley Happy

James

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.