by James231 Investigator
Investigator

CCTV app not working on mobile data

Recently my customers on EE have been having trouble accessing their CCTV system through the app on EE mobile network. (as an EE customer i have been able to replicate this issue too)

As soon as you join ANY wi-fi connection it works and you can see the cameras but as soon as your on mobile data - Nothing. obviously the PTP/ port forwarding settings are okay as you can access it off site but just not on mobile data. (plus it only stopped working a month or so ago so cleary was set up okay and has affected multiple sites)

Have spoken to the manufacturer and they have put it down to EE changing what data can be transmited over their network, could this be the case and would there be a way around it?

Any help will be appreciated.  

43 REPLIES 43
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: CCTV app not working on mobile data

Probably an issue with IPv6 and CGNAT on the EE network. The CCTV manufacturer should be aware of these types of issues and hopefully have a workaround.

by
EE Community Support Team

Good shout @chistery

@James231 Please do try and contact your CCTV manufacturer for a potential workaround.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by James231 Investigator
Investigator

good call, it doesn't sound like they know much about anything! but i'll go back to them with this and see if they can do anything

Thanks for your advice

by

Please do share with community the outcome if you get a chance too @James231

Any answers you can share could benefit others as well in community.

Good luck

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's probably to do with EE employing IPv6. Can you amend the APN to use an IPv4 Protocol or downgrade your phone to 3G?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by James231 Investigator
Investigator

no luck i'm afraid, was worth a try.

by

Thanks for coming back to update us @James231

Richard

🙂

by Hacksawcats Investigator
Investigator

Any update to this?? CCTV working on external and internal WIFI but when I switch to mobile data, CCTV doesnt work. Are EE blocking video traffic on mobile data or is there a mobile data setting some where for video/cctv. Or does it depend on your contract plan?

Please dont mention port forwarding etc. becuase as I say network traffic is fine just mobile data doesnt work

Any help appreciated.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Hacksawcats  EE doesn’t block video CCTV streams as mine work fine over cellular and wifi.  And it has nothing todo with the contract type you have with EE.  Have you spoken with the manufacturer of your CCTV system?  

by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the community @Hacksawcats

Are you using an official manufacturer app or a third party app to view your CCTV?

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Hacksawcats   Silly question but have you allowed the app you’re actually using to use mobile/cellular data ?    Every app that can use cellular data also needs to have it enabled to use cellular data otherwise you’re going to be restricted just to Wi-Fi.  

Investigator

Thanks for the reply: Re: Contacting manufacter, they are based in China and there web site is in chinese!

Investigator

Thanks for the reply: its the offical app thaT came with CCTV (xmeye). Any reason?

Investigator

Thanks for the reply. Not a silly question. I'm trying to sort it out for my friend, So I'll check and get back to you. Tks for the heads up.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Have you tried it on someone elses phone who uses EE just to try and rule out something on the phone?

Investigator

Will do, thanks for the reply. I'll let you know.
by Goznaldo Investigator
Investigator

I have this problem as well now. 

Using Cloud P2P on Annke View to access Annke CCTV DVR.

When connected on home wifi it works. Disable wifi (and connect to EE mobile network) and I lose the stream.

Now on my wife's Android phone (Tesco mobile network) it works fine.

I also use a VPN service and when I connected to a random VPN server in Germany then it also works fine so there is definitely something about the EE network that changed. This started happening around November time (I've been slow to try and sort it!).

by

Hi @Goznaldo,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems using your CCTV app over the EE mobile network.

Have you contacted the app developer to see if they are aware of any compatibility issues?

Thanks

James

by Goznaldo Investigator
Investigator

Hi James - no not yet. They are a Chinese developer so I'm not sure how much focus they would give the issue but my point does remain...

If the app works on every mobile network I'm testing except for EE - who would that suggest the issue is with?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.