by straightup20 Investigator
Investigator

Blacklisted phone - I have proof of purchase?

Hello,

Would like some advice please as to how to proceed.

I contacted EE today to unlock my iPhone (I had purchased this from someone 6 months ago) - they advised that the phone cannot be unlocked because there is a "query on the device". This "query" was not present on the device 1 month ago when I initially requested the unlock and was denied because it hadn't been 6 months from the contract start date.

When I purchased the device initially, I made sure to get a copy of the original proof of purchase and paid via bank transfer (rather than cash).

In light of the fact that I have this original proof of purchase, can I get the phone un-blacklisted as it is proof that I am now the legal owner of the device?

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Blacklisted phone - I have proof of purchase?

Hi @straightup20

Basically no you are not the owner as the phone still belongs to EE for the first 6 months of contract, that is if that contract is honoured by the person who took it out.

The only person who can rectify this issue is the original owners/EE customer.  

If you purchased this via gumtree/ebay etc for an unbelievable deal then unfortunately you have lost out. If you cannot get hold of the original owner then try checkmend, and report this matter to the police. 

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @straightup20

Welcome to the community.

Just a couple of questions for you, then I'll do my best to help:-

Do you live in the UK?

Have you had the device more than 6 months?

Chris

Investigator

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The answer to both of your questions would happen to be a yes.

Investigator

Thanks for your response, Northerner.

It is over 6 months now, and since I have proof of paying them as well as having the original proof of purchase for the device (i.e. EE receipt), wouldn't that legally indicate a transfer of ownership?

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for replying @straightup20 🙂

I've sent you a private message looking for some more information about this.

Please take a look and get back to me.

Thanks

Chris 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@straightup20 wrote:

since I have proof of paying them as well as having the original proof of purchase for the device (i.e. EE receipt), wouldn't that legally indicate a transfer of ownership?

Not if the seller didn't have legal title to it when they sold it to you 6 months ago & they didn't as it was EE property then. It's an obvious insurance fraud; sell it when new & report it lost or stolen after 6 months.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.