by Alphacenturi Investigator
Investigator

Big problems with EE 4G Router - can anyone help please?

I recently changed to EE 4G Router with Mobile data as my broadband at home was so chronic with barely 1mb download. The new Rotuerarrived and at first I was really delighted with the speed, I am getting over 18Mb which, in comparison with what I had before was just amazing. However, I now find that with increasing frequency I have to power off the router as although all lights are on t heeis in fact no connection. The router is connected to my Imac via a Lan cable but when it goes down I cannot even connect via the basic IP address until I have repowered i.

I have contacted EE "technical support" twice now.  As someone who has been involved in PC Techinical support including networking and broadband for many years before I retired and with the greatest of respect I am dismayed at the level of technical knowledge or rather lack of !.

I have been asked to "foreget the network" and to carry otu a "Pin reset" both of whcih have had no effect. The settings in the router are very basic so there is not much that can be used as diagnostic tools. Apparently there is also no way either for myself or EE to see the record of "uptime"  for hte connection. Without this there is little way of being able to tell how often the problem is occurring or trying to identify any pattern that might help narrow down the problem.

Although I am more than satisfied with the speed I need to have a consistent service as I often need remote access while away from home. I do only have 1 bar showing as a connection so possibly the next step is to have an antenna installed if only to rule out a weak signal as part of the probem.

The only other thing I can think of is to ditch the router and buy a better product although I don't know why I should have to spend a couple of hundred pounds or possibly more to achieve this when I have only had the service for less than 6 weeks. I seems that technical support is going to have to be all "self help" hence this appeal.

Thanks to anyone who can offerany suggestions.

5 REPLIES 5
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: Big problems with EE 4G Router - can anyone help please?

Hello and welcome to the community. 

It is rather concerning if you cannot even access the router's own management via LAN when it goes down; it suggests something fairly majorly wrong is going on within the router.

Just to check, have you looked in the menu to see if there are any software updates available for it?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's the firmware, specifically the sleep/wake function. Its It's the same problem that has dogged all the EE 4G routers, which they haven't fixed. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Northerner I got the wifi mini and mine does exactly that.

Investigator

Hi

thank you for your reply. Yes I have checked for software/firmware updates and everything is up to date o:(

Investigator

From what I am reading it does look like a well known problem, I hope they are going to resolve it soon. I really do need remote access as I control a lot of equipment including the heating so it makes all my other purchases a waste of time. Also, when I am away from home I need to accesss my server, again, not possible when the router is down.. what I don’t understand is that everything was fine fro the first 10 days.

If we can prove that it is the router at fault then at least I can buy another router with a decent spec although we shouldn’t have to do this.. it’s strange that nearly all ISP’S supply basic (in other words pretty naff) routers. The EE router probably has a hidden interface to stop the user getting to the core settings. 

I would be be interested to know if this really is a universal problem and if anything is being done about it. If EE are sending out equipment knowing that there are problems with it, something should be done about it!!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.