by Linux_bb Investigator
Investigator

Band 20 on payg

Hi 

Looking at EE website clearly shows that payg customers don’t get VOLTE , despite what the offshore webchat people (useless ) said . I read somewhere that “stop confusion “ ( payg customers would therefore not be able to access band 20 (which is used for LTE) . Since ee have claimed to have closed a lot of notspots overnight by enabling 800MHz on masts for 4g this would lead me to believe that 4g payg customers couldn’t actually get all the 4g coverage shown on the EE coverage checker (as any band 20 is off limits ) . Since I have a phone that supports this and it’s only EE that is limiting it that would seem to be misleading . Where can I find a PAYG coverage map that accurately represents the coverage that payg customers can expect ? The payg page sends you to the main coverage checker , but without band 20 that cannot be true

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor
Solution

Re: Band 20 on payg

Hi @Linux_bb , 

EE's coverage map does not overlay 800MHz by default, so the coverage prediction shown is geared towards customers like you. 

Thanks, Peter

20 REPLIES 20
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Linux_bb,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

If you get in touch with Customer Care, our Tech Gurus will be happy to share more detailed information about the coverage available in your area.

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Linux_bb   Why not just look at 3G as that is what you’ll be using for calls and texts.  You only get 4G data on EE at present with PAYG. 

by Linux_bb Investigator
Investigator

Hey James, 

I tried that but they kept telling me that payg use the same masts and signal as paym, which doesn’t answer the question and also isn’t true in all cases as per my message. They also said payg could get volte though so not very accurate 

thanks 

by

Hi @Linux_bb,

It sounds like you may have been speaking to a customer service agent rather than technical support.

Our Tech Gurus have all the systems needed to give you more detailed information.

Thanks

James

by Linux_bb Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Chris 

I am mainly interested in data to be honest but no way to know which parts are 800 based and which are 1800 or similar . Since they are refarming big chunks of 3G to 4g it seems anyone with payg or without a volte compatible phone is going to have the same experience, reduced coverage , but no idea how much . 

I understand why they may want to provide less for payg , even though I don’t like it , but they should at least have a coverage map that depicts what it’s at least possible for payg customers to get and not point them at paym IMHO 

thanks

by Linux_bb Investigator
Investigator

James 

I went via that page , technical support webchat . They were supposed to be technical , I agree that they weren’t but I did ask for technical 

by

Hi @Linux_bb,

I would recommend getting in touch via phone so you can have a chat with the team.

Thanks

James

by Linux_bb Investigator
Investigator

I have been on the phone for an hour , got all the way to a technical support supervisor , called Darren (I think ) in Wales call centre . He has said that PAYG customers can use all bands , including 20 for data (not what  I have read other places but I don’t have an android phone to test with ) . But since some places will have 4g only on 800mhz and payg cannot use volte  that he accepts that the coverage is not the same for voice on payg and has said he will feed that back . If payg can use band 20 data the of course the connection will drop when making a call 

when I have an android phone about that can do band 20 I may double check but not the case right now . 

All in all pretty confusing but I have an answer unless someone proves otherwise 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Linux_bb 

have you considered moving from PAYG to PAYM on a sim only contract you would keep the same SIM and you get access to band 20 plus 4G calling and WIFI calling.

If you want to swap ring freephone 0800 956 6000 opt 2 opt 1.

Thanks,

David.

by Linux_bb Investigator
Investigator

Thanks but that makes it a worse deal 

currently I pay 15 a month and get 5GB of data and calls and texts . On sim only it’s 16 for 1GB and that’s on the essential plan , which only gets up to 60MB speed , on payg I have managed 100MB speed in ideal conditions , would have to go to a smart plan to get that which costs even more. Really pretty bizarre , so many exceptions and upgrades with EE where they constantly try to up sell 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor
Solution

Hi @Linux_bb , 

EE's coverage map does not overlay 800MHz by default, so the coverage prediction shown is geared towards customers like you. 

Thanks, Peter

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Just to make clear aswell, to benefit from additional coverage of 800MHz, you need to have VoLTE, and therefore be on a pay monthly plan. 

Strictly speaking, non-VoLTE customers can access 800MHz, but only as a secondary carrier and therefore it increases the coverage footprint to X service level (ie 2mbps), but does not increase the attainable overall footprint. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Linux_bb 

If you swap from PAYG to PAYM via this link you can have 20GB of data unlimited mins & texts for £15 a month.

https://shop.ee.co.uk/pay-as-you-go-to-pay-monthly

Thanks,

David 

by Linux_bb Investigator
Investigator

Thanks, Peter

Hi @Peter_C , so sounds like the map only shows "standard" coverage and not band 20, that's really interesting and useful too, thanks a lot. I assume when you choose your phone model that would then make the assumption that if your phone has volte , that you can use it ?

@Peter_C wrote:

Just to make clear aswell, to benefit from additional coverage of 800MHz, you need to have VoLTE, and therefore be on a pay monthly plan. 

Not sure exactly what this means, so 800MHz is VoLTE only ?

Strictly speaking, non-VoLTE customers can access 800MHz, but only as a secondary carrier and therefore it increases the coverage footprint to X service level (ie 2mbps), but does not increase the attainable overall footprint. 

So PAYG customers can access it, or just PAYM customers that don't have a a VoLTE compatible phone ?

It increases coverage footprint but not overall footprint , sorry , you lost me on that bit I am afraid

by Linux_bb Investigator
Investigator

@David wrote:

Hi @Linux_bb 

If you swap from PAYG to PAYM via this link you can have 20GB of data unlimited mins & texts for £15 a month.

https://shop.ee.co.uk/pay-as-you-go-to-pay-monthly

Thanks,

David 

Hi @David  , ok that's not the prices from the main shop when you follow sim only, after you sent that I also found this https://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-phone-deals/sim-only-deals , bizzarely the deals on that page for the essential plans don't have the "up to 60 meg" limit listed, they say "fastest 4g"

all the essential plans here list only "up to 60M" https://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only/pay-monthly-phones# , EE are seriously confusing on their plans

so looks like they have multiple pages with cheaper prices than their main one, thanks for that , I will consider doing that for those prices

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

800MHz as a primary carrier is VoLTE only. 

However, anybody with a device supporting carrier aggregation can use it as a secondary carrier.

If you are a non-VoLTE user and you are on the very edge of 1800MHz coverage but 800MHz is strong. In this scenario, the 1800MHz might deliver 1mbps and the 800MHz 5mbps. However, if you lose 1800MHz, you lose the 800MHz.

So the coverage footprint of 6mbps (or more) performance has been increased by the 800MHz, but if you leave the 1800MHz coverage, you still lose 4G coverage, so the total accessible coverage has stayed the same. 

A VoLTE user will be able to use 800MHz only and will therefore have total accessible coverage that exceeds that of the non-VoLTE one. 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

In simple terms:

Non-VoLTE

1800MHz defines coverage but 800MHz can boost speeds.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Linux_bb  did you go for 20GB unlimited mins & texts for £15 ?

by Linux_bb Investigator
Investigator

@David wrote:

@Linux_bb  did you go for 20GB unlimited mins & texts for £15 ?

Hi @David 

I haven't at this point, but I will keep it it mind, the most important point for me was to find out what the 4G coverage would look like without band 20  since I couldn't see any reference to that at all. Sounds like you get the 'without band20' map by default

I am assuming that if I swap PAYG => PAYM all the extras will just automatically enable ? the website says you swap to PAYM immediately after your order 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.