by matt55 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Any way to change when WIFI Calling activates?

Right now, it seems that EE's implementation of it is that if you're on WIFI, it's on, which causes problems if I'm latched onto a weak WIFI signal (for example if it automatically connects to a public WIFI network that I may have used before) and my calls end up being all screwy as the dialling tone and the sounds are all slow and slurred.

IIRC, 3 only activate theirs when signal is low and you're on WIFI and I can't remenber how O2 did it.  Are there any plans how to change this behaviour or make it an option on how it works?

5 REPLIES 5
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Any way to change when WIFI Calling activates?

Hello @matt55

Thank you for taking the time to post on the Community today. Smiley Happy

At the moment EE have no plans to change how WiFi Calling works on EE, and this has been mentioned before.

The best option is to switch it off if you have good signal and back on when you have poor signal. Smiley Happy

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Absolutely right, and the flip side is that if VoWiFi was configured the way 3 have it... you could be on a really poor mobile signal but because it's there, your phone won't use a strong WiFi signal.

I'm not saying which is better, just pointing out there are possible flaws in both methods.

As @Inyourbox has suggested, if you don't want your phone connecting to WiFi in general then just turn WiFi off. If there's a particular location that you don't want to use WiFi then perhaps just go into your WiFi settings and "unsave" or "do not connect automatically" for that specific router/network.

Established Contributor

But on 3, if I was on poor mobile signal (less then 2 or 3 bars) and was connected to WIFI, it would switch over.

I don't see the downside, if I had good mobile signal then WIFI calling wouldn't kick in at all.

I look at WIFI calling as a way to be able to get calls in bad reception areas, I'm not primarily in it for the better call quality.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I'm still surprised that your phone clings onto a weak WiFi signal to the point of having distorted calls, I've been attached to weak WiFi signals many a time when the phone gives up on WiFi calling long before it gives up on WiFi data. So calls end up routing through mobile while data is going over WiFi.

So there is evidently some form of QoS going on.

Established Contributor

I've read on iOS 11 beta2, it overrides carrier settings for when WiFi Calling activates, so going to get a phone to test this on tonight and report back.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions