by Stourton
Explorer

An update is required to use mobile data on this iPhone

I've suddenly lost the ability to connect my iPhone to EE, although it will still connect to my home wifi.  Apple support has been brilliant and they remoted into my phone, performed diagnostic tests, reset the network settings, restarted the phone several times but have concluded that the phone is working fine.  However the Mobile Data part of settings displays the above error.  Apple believes the problem is with EE.  I've tried phoning EE tech support but it's closed.  Any ideas on how I can reconnect to get an EE signal?  Even the WiFi Calling option in my phone's settings has disappeared.

3 REPLIES 3
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: An update is required to use mobile data on this iPhone

Hi @Stourton.

Welcome to the EE Community.

Since Apple have already ran through some tests with you, I'd recommend performing a two way SIM test.

This would be done by putting your SIM in another EE phone and seeing if you get a signal. If you also get the same problems in another phone, we will need to replace your SIM card.

Are you able to try this and let us know how you get on? 🙂

Jon

by Stourton
Explorer

Hi @Jon_K,

Thanks for your helpful reply.  I should have thought of this myself but didn't.  I transferred my SIM into a very old phone from the back of a drawer and sure enough, it worked.  I could make calls and receive texts, thereby proving that the SIM isn't faulty.  Unfortunately my wife's micro SIM from her Samsung phone wouldn't fit in my iPhone so I couldn't do the reverse test.

So this afternoon I went to an EE store and they did exactly this.  They showed that my SIM works in their phone while their SIM didn't work in my phone.  This suggests that despite the excellent and patient phone support I had from Apple, where they said my phone was working perfectly, must be wrong.  If it was working perfectly why would it still show the same error messages when the store SIM was inserted?

I'll still make an Apple Genius Bar appointment to check that my phone really is faulty and can't be repaired, but meanwhile, somewhat inevitably, while in the EE store I signed up for a new contract with a new phone and as I type this my new phone is restoring from a backup of the old one.

Fair play to both Apple support and the helpful young lady in the EE store, they really tried hard to help me and get me connected again.  Suddenly losing network connectivity isn't pleasant, especially for someone like me who uses the phone for business as well as personal life.

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for the update @Stourton

I'm glad you were able to upgrade so you could get back online.

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions