by olisun Contributor
Contributor

Access to the EE 800mhz

Hi,

I own a Sony Xperia XZ Premium with EE firmware and wanted to know how to get access to the EE 800mhz network.

I have areas where there are zero bars of 4G signal (band 3) and I struggle to make or receive calls.

I am on the £26pm pay monthly sim.

26 REPLIES 26
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Access to the EE 800mhz

Hello @olisun

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community today. Smiley Happy

You don't need to do anything to access the 800Mhz network, EE automatically 

provisioned access on accounts last year. You do need to have VoLTE (4G Calling) enabled on your phone and your phone will connect to 800Mhz (band 20) in an area where its available.
by olisun Contributor
Contributor

I can't see any option to enable VoLTE on the phone.

I only have Wifi calling.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Thank you for taking the time to reply @olisunSmiley Happy

Can you do a test call for me please? Can you call 150 and tell me, does your signal indicator change from 4G to either 3G, H or H+ or does it remain on 4G?

by olisun Contributor
Contributor

It switches to 3G/H+ and I have checked this in multiple areas.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

That would indicate your phone is not using VoLTE (4G Calling). As far as I am aware, your phone should have access to VoLTE (4G Calling) as explained by EE here.

Did you purchase the phone directly from EE?

by olisun Contributor
Contributor

I didn't purchase the phone directly from EE and it is not required to use VoLTE.

I just chatted with a customer service agent and this is her reply "I have applied VoLTE onto your account, this will work if you have bought your mobile phone directly through EE".

I just restarted the phone and made a call and it didn't switch to 3G/H+.

I was expecting it to switch to band 20 but it stayed in band 3.

by olisun Contributor
Contributor

I just took both my phones (one on Three and other on EE) to an area where the signal suffers.

I was still connected to Three on 4G band 20 and there was no signal on the EE handset.

At times the EE handset would try to to connect to the Edge network for a few seconds and then drop off again.

Does the 800mhz also need to be enabled for the customers?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Can I ask, where did you purchase the phone from?

As long as your phone was supplied by EE with EE's Firmware, you should have the option to enable VoLTE in the settings.

Your phone will not stay connected to 4G when you make a call until you've enabled VoLTE on your phone, it can be enabled on your account but until it's been enabled on your phone, it will not work and can take up to 24 hours to become fully enabled.

EE automatically enabled access to band 20 on customers accounts last year as long as they had a VoLTE capable phone, so EE would have enabled band 20 access on your account.

by olisun Contributor
Contributor

There are quite a few users who have purchased sim free phones from CPW or Sony directly and after they flashed the EE firmware they can now access band 20.

I bought the phone directly from Sony and flashed it with the EE firmware.

I can make use of VoLTE now after the service agent applied that fix on my call but I still can't connect to band 20.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

You're correct, we have had a few users who have succesfully flashed EE's Firmware on to their phones and have managed to gain access to VoLTE and WiFi Calling and I'm glad to hear you've now managed to access VoLTE after speaking to customer service. Smiley Happy

In relation to accessing band 20, you might not be in area which EE currently has band 20 deployed or if you are in an area with band 20 enabled, because you've only just enabled VoLTE on the phone, it may take up to 24 hours for your account to update.

I have tagged @Leanne_T and @Christopher_G who will be able to check if your area is band 20 enabled. Can you provide a postcode please? If you feel more comfortable, you could private message me this and I will pass this on for you. Smiley Happy

by olisun Contributor
Contributor

W12 7TU is the most important one for me now.

by olisun Contributor
Contributor

BTW I have got wifi calling option on my handset. I haven't used it as yet though.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

As soon as one of the EE Community Support Team picks this thread up, they will reply with an answer. Smiley Happy

I would go ahead and activate WiFi Calling while you are waiting for a reply as I know it can take up to 24 hours to activate WiFi Calling on your account and you may need to use it and most likely don't want to be waiting for that to activate and once it's activated, you can turn it on when and if you require the service. Smiley Happy

by
EE Employee

Hi @olisun and welcome to the community.

I have just looked into this and can see there is no band 20 in the area for the postcode you have provided.

Many thanks,

Lee

by olisun Contributor
Contributor

Strangely I had connected to band 20 in the same area for a few seconds and after that it disappeard.

I haven't been able to connect to it since then. 😞

by olisun Contributor
Contributor

I jumped from Three hoping to see an improvement in the coverage and while lagerly it has improved but some of the places are worse than Three. 😞

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@olisun  No network has full coverage and reason you’re probably not  connecting to band  20 is because you’re probably right on the edge of the mast range for this frequency, and the more users on a mast the mast range of the signal gets decreased.

by olisun Contributor
Contributor

I know no network has full coverage but the way EE advertise their network and based on their coverage checker, I went for it.

The worst thing is I can't connect to band 20 in any of the areas where there is absolutely no signal and NOT just this area.

With Three this is not the case. The moment I disable 4G and enable it, the first band it connects to is band 20 and then it decides whether to switch to a different band.

This is Three's band 20.

http://imgur.com/a/srCP2

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@olisun   The coverage checker is just a guide and it says this on the coverage checker it is not a guarantee of signal.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.