by BOB1N Investigator
Investigator

Access to PubMed seems to be blocked?

Hi,

Hoping someone can shed some light on a problem I seem to be having. Have recently realised that access to the PubMed website (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/) appears to no longer work when using a device connected to the EE network.

I am not able to connect when using my phone with a 4G cellular signal, yet am able to successfully load the site if I am connected to a WiFi network.

I am currently also using an EE 4G Mobile Broadband device (Netgear Nighthawk) and when my laptop is connected to this again, the website no longer loads.

So it is the case that the website will not load on both an iPhone and a Macbook when using a cellular connection but will with traditional WiFi.

I've also asked a friend (who is located on the other side of the country, and is also with EE) to try and she is also not able to connect when using 4G but is able to connect when on WiFi.

I have double checked, I do not have content lock active, even though the website is used to look at journal articles and research papers.

Was hoping someone might be able to help here, before I resort to contacting technical support.

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: Access to PubMed seems to be blocked?

Hello and welcome to the community.

I just loaded it over EE 4G and it worked fine so that's incredibly bizarre! I'm not completely what to suggest either. Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

What error do you get?

Try a different DNS server too, e.g. 1.1.1.1

by BOB1N Investigator
Investigator

0631368C-B648-47CD-BF93-4710D96EA357.png

It’s just a straight forward can’t access server error. I’m not sure how I am able change the DNS my phone uses whilst on 4G.

I’m using an iPhone, if you’re able to tell me the steps that I need to take, I’m happy to try.

Thank you

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@BOB1N I thought you might be able to change it on your laptop that you said you were using as well.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @BOB1N,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I've tested the site over EE 4G and I can also access the site successfully.

I would recommend contacting technical support so we can look into this in more detail for you.

Thanks

James

by BOB1N Investigator
Investigator

Hi @chistery,

Thanks for the suggestion, changing the DNS has managed to correct the issue on my laptop. 

But I'm still not entirely sure what that means for the source of the problem. If the old DNS didn't allow communication with the server for PubMed, who or what determines that DNS? Is it randomly assigned by my laptop or does the laptop obtain it from the Nighthawk 4G router?

Then does that mean the issue lies with EE or my device? Becuase if it's the device, what can I do about access on my phone?

Sorry for the 101 questions. Any help / advice is very welcome.

Thanks again. (@James_B - Will look to contact techinical support if needed, given that it is working with a different DNS)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@BOB1N wrote:

Is it randomly assigned by my laptop or does the laptop obtain it from the Nighthawk 4G router?

The latter & the MBB router obtains it from EE Mobile. It is EE's DNS.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.