by Snipe717 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

800mhz indoor signal for payg customers

Please, this low frequency signal has been fixing indoor issues for contracted customers since November last year, it was stated at this point that EE were working hard to bring these indoor improvements to payg customers, we are seven months on with no update, could we have some more information?

It would be great if we could get something of a rough timescale or update on the difficulties incurred, as opposed to being told that information will be posted when available.

Many thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: 800mhz indoor signal for payg customers

To get on 800MHz, you need to be able to use VoLTE, which means having the right device and having VoLTE enabled on the account. EE does not have VoLTE enabled on the PAYG accounts group yet which will likely be for a multitude of reasons. 

Established Contributor

Thanks @Peter_C

I appreciate that the device must be branded and therefore carry the appropriate firmware, in order to use VoLTE, particularly in the Android sector. However, I use an unbranded iPhone which does allow me to use VoLTE, network permitting.

It is a little frustrating, I am aware that, were I using a pay monthly sim, my indoor experience would be dramatically improved in my local area, but this is restricted due to my account type.

Would you know of any specific reason why payg customers would remain excluded, other than to encourage customers to sign a contract? Hutchison' s Three network allow its payg customers to access it's 800mhz spectrum, which also requires the user to be VoLTE enabled, for the same reason, so that a customer does not find themselves with a data only connection, due to the greater reach of the lower frequency.

Thanks again!

by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

@Snipe717 I believe it's an issue with the billing system used for PAYG, no idea where EE are on sorting this out but I doubt it's at the top of their list.

Established Contributor

Still no updates on this? Anyone at EE?

Why submit such a vast number of customers to such an inferior indoor network, when the facility is there to rectify it? Unless it is connected with EEs preoccupation with speeds and marketing figures and they believe it will flood the relatively low bandwidth spectrum with heavy traffic?  Well it works just fine over on Three, where all customers have access.

Please update, it's getting a little bit frustrating now. How many months or even years, will pass, before EE decide to bring their prepay customers into the twenty first century?? 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.