by kev874 Investigator
Investigator

6 days to use 2GB of Data No Way

Hi All,

My 2 GB Data allowance renews every 2nd of the month so on 02/01/18 my 2 GB renewed and all was well around 6 days later i received the text saying i had used all my data. Now i do play online games but i don't use social media or stream and download movies,music or You tube videos on 4g so there is no way i can have used this much data in such a small period of time, But as i needed data i purchased a 1GB add on which low and behold today 17/01/18 i get the text saying that ive used 80% already, again same story no streaming or downloading etc.

I phoned tech help people who tried to tell me that i had used the data and to get a data tracker for future. I asked him to tell me what the data had been used on and he stated YouTube, Facebook,ICloud and general browsing...... Surprising cause i dont use YouTube on my phone,I'm not even on Facebook or any Social media apps....So i know for a fact that something has gone awry here.

My daughter has a phone with EE under my name with a different number and it's own Data allowance and i know she as any teenager does accesses facebook and social media and YouTube etc so i asked him is it possible that for some unknown reason that although her phone is a different number and has its own data allowance that because its under my name wires could have been crossed and im being penalised for her usage.......Answer was from tech guys Very much Doubt it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but it would seem reasonable to me..

I am getting more than a little peeved with EE and thier response to things there are just too many mistakes and fob offs which cost me the customer hassle and money.

Has anyone else had the same problem and can offer a solution cause there is absolutely and catagorically no way that this ammount of data has been used by me.

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 6 days to use 2GB of Data No Way

@kev874  They can not say what the data was used on as EE don’t track what’s its used for,   You got a general reply.   To see what it’s used on look at your device as it will track what apps have used what amount of data.   

The other one to check is are you allowing apps to run in the background on the device?   If you are this will  use data even if the device is in your pocket. 

The only way your daughter can use your data and for this to happen is if she has access to the account ( yours )  and is gifting data from your tariff to your tariff.  But you’ll get a text from EE if this was happening to inform you it’s happened. 

by kev874 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the reply,

It certainly answers a few questions but dos'nt for others unfortunately as I definately make sure that all apps are fully closed down so they cant run in the background. EE staff that you speak to should also be careful what they say ( i wish i recorded the conversation  now!) as the fellow stated that he could look and see exactly what the data was used on and reeled off these particular activities.

Something is definately amiss with the data usage and having browsed previous threads i see that this is not an unusual situation nor sadly is the poor handling and dealing with complaints by EE (although i have to say the Gent i spoke was incredibly polite and friendly)

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @kev874,

Welcome to the EE Community.

That's great advice from @Chris_B, if you look at your data usage in your phone's settings, you should be able to see a breakdown of how much data each app has used.

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@kev874  Just closing apps from the background is not good enough.  You need to switch them off within the device settings to stop them using data.

what device is it ?  

by kev874 Investigator
Investigator

I have always used the settings area and blocked off 4g usage for the majority of apps so they can only be used with wifi. The only apps i allow to be used on 4g is e-mail,web browsing and weather which on research use very little data.

by
EE Community Support Team

Afternoon @kev874

Thanks for coming back to the community.

What phone are you using?

Do you get email attachments to your phone?

Thanks, Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions