by Niz
Explorer

4g calling VoLTE on Sim Only not working - XZ2 Compact

It is unclear as to whether its because I am on a Sim Only Contract that I cannot use 4G Calling. I have a Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact, the predecessor (XZ1 Compact) is listed on the site as working with 4G Calling so I would say its safe to assume the XZ2 Compact is also supported.

I have called up and "activated" wifi calling which also does not work even though it should be supported. I purchased the device direct from Sony so its a clean unlocked device. The chat support rep said it may be because I am sim only and not on a proper pay monthly plan. I would rather know if this is the case for sure, I wouldn't want to lock myself in for 18 Months if I cannot use 4G Calling.

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 4g calling VoLTE on Sim Only not working - XZ2 Compact

@Niz  Sim only do get 4G and WiFi calling. But that doesn’t mean EE supports the service especially if you got the device elsewhere.  

THESE are the devices that have WiFi calling on EE. 

And 4G calling devices right HERE 

im also sure that all Sony devices have to have EE firmware on them to support WiFi calling and 4G calling.  

by Niz
Explorer

I really appreciate the response and good to know that Sim Only allows 4G and Wifi calling.

I do hope EE update their backend to support more phones.

However for completeness when this thread when comes up in google search I do have to correct you, it is incorrect that a Sony phone requires EE firmware, the link you posted cleary says ANY retailer with a list of phones then EE with another list:

to use 4G Calling, you’ll need:

• to be in an area with EE 4G coverage
  • an EE pay monthly plan on one of these phones bought from ANY retailer including EE (please check when buying a phone from a non-EE retailer whether or not it supports 4G Calling, as we cannot guarantee phones purchased from third parties will support the feature):
    • Apple iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, SE, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X
    • Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL
    • Sony Xperia XZ1, Xperia XZ1 Compact
    • Huawei P10, P10 lite, P10 Plus, P Smart
    • HTC U11, U11 Life    
    • Blackberry Priv, Dtek 50, Dtek 60, KEYone
    • Nokia 3, 5, 8
    • EE Hawk
  • or one of these phones, bought directly from EE in-store, online or over the phone:
    • Samsung Galaxy S9, S9+, S8, S8+, S7, S7 edge, S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+, Xcover 4, A3 (2017), A5 (2017), J5 (2017), Note 8
    • Sony Xperia L1, XA1, XZ, XZ Premium, X, XA, X Compact, Z5, Z5 Premium and Z5 Compact
    • Microsoft Lumia 550, 650, 950, 950XL
    • Huawei P8 lite (2017), P9
    • HTC 10
    • LG G6, G5, G5 SE, X Cam, K8 (2016), K8 (2017),  K10 (2017)
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Just because the XZ is compatible doesn't mean the XZ2 will be.

I wouldn't assume anything.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

So the chat rep didn’t know that 4g calling works on sim only that’s helpful isn’t it Smiley Mad

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
by moopig Investigator
Investigator

I have a Sony XZ1 Compact (XZ1c) with stock UK firmware (i.e. non-EE firmware).  Wi-fi calling works just fine.

According to Sony's XZ1c user manual I should have an option my phone's setting menu to turn VoLTE on and off.  That option is not there.  However, EE's web site says I have VoLTE if I make a voice call and the "4G" symbol is visible on the phone's display during the call.  This happens.  So it seems I do have VoLTE.

My XZ1c is an unlocked UK phone, variant G8441, with Android 8.0.0 (Oreo) software, build number 47.1.A.16.20.

I know this doesn't help with the original poster's XZ2c question.  I just wanted to make it clear that not all Sony phones need EE's special software in order to use VoWiFi (WiFi Calling) or, it would appear, VoLTE (4G Calling).

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@moopig   Seeing as this was from 7/5/18 and things do change over time as new devices become available it still doesn’t mean that the original device in question will support these services.  

And if you read the reply to my reply it’s does say 

(please check when buying a phone from a non-EE retailer whether or not it supports 4G Calling).  

If a device can support it and it’s not from EE that’s doesn’t mean EE has to support it. 

by moopig Investigator
Investigator

@Chris_BI was really just updating this thread with new information in case it might help someone looking for help with a similar problem.  I wasn't criticising you for not being clairvoyant.  The situation with which phones support what does change all the time.

However... the reply immediately after yours, posted on the same day, has copy-and-pasted text from the EE web site which explicitly says that the Sony XZ1 and XZ1c without EE software support 4G Calling (from the page you linked to!).  It might still be possible to find a weird variant somewhere with non-UK or non-standard software which doesn't work on EE's network, I suppose.

Your advice to check with the phone vendor and/or with EE before buying is sound, though.  I need Wi-fi Calling because there's no signal inside my home and it wasn't crystal clear at the time I was thinking of buying my XZ1c a year ago whether or not one without EE software would support it.  I asked the retailer and they were uncertain but a call to EE customer service confirmed that it would.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@moopig  The XZ1 or the XZ1c is not the XZ2 as stated in the post.  

Your also bringing a post from the past that in all fairness is probably not relevant anymore in to the light of day.   

by moopig Investigator
Investigator

@Chris_B"The XZ1 or the XZ1c is not the XZ2 as stated in the post."

Yes, I said that earlier, too.

@Chris_B"Your also bringing a post from the past that in all fairness is probably not relevant anymore in to the light of day."

It contained information which was once true but is now incorrect.  I was looking myself for information related to VoLTE and finding a lot of posts (from the whole web, not just EE's forums) stating things that are out of date or just plain wrong.  If you search the EE forums for "VoLTE Sony" and sort by relevance this thread is number 3, and if you sort by date it's number 1.  When I Googled "VoLTE" "EE" "Sony" this thread was fourth from top of the UK results.  I thought it might be nice to update it because it appears to be still relevant and likely to get more visits from people looking for help with VoLTE on Sony phones and EE's network.  No citicism of you was intended (you seem to be a pretty helpful person).

by moopig Investigator
Investigator

It wasn't totally clear on my Sony XZ1 Compact whether or not I was using VoLTE.  The Sony user guide says that if the phone continues to display the 4G symbol on the display during a voice call then it's using VoLTE, but there's no special indication that it's a VoLTE call.  Anyone wanting more concrete proof that their Sony Xperia XZ1 or XZ2 phone really is using VoLTE can try this:

- Make sure you have a 4G signal.

- Turn off wi-fi (to stop voice calls going via WiFi Calling).

- Go to the dialler and key in *#*#4636#*#*

- After the final * a service screen will appear.  Tap "Phone information".

If you have VoLTE you should see "Voice network type: LTE" in the list of information.  If you select "IMS Service Status" from the menu you should see "Voice over LTE: Available".  If you don't , scroll down and check that the "VoLTE provisioned" switch is not greyed out and that it's turned on.  If VoLTE seems to be enabled in the phone but you still don't have it then it might just be because EE don't have it everywhere yet and you're on a base station which doesn't support it.

My unlocked XZ1 Compact, UK model (G8441), purchased in January 2018, not bought from EE and without EE customised software, running on Android 8.0 and with a SIM-only monthly contract definitely has VoLTE (4G Calling).  And also VoWiFi (Wi-Fi Calling).

I believe this engineering code works for other Xperia phones.  It might even be a standard Android feature but I don't know about that.

Another good one which gives lots of useful info about the phone is *#*#7378423#*#*  This brings up a service menu on my XZ1 Compact.

It looks like you can change some technical settings in these service menus.  I recommend not fiddling too much here unless you know what you're doing.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.