by Griceypants Contributor
Contributor

4GEE Router aerial related question.

Hi, as an isolated rural inhabitant I recently got one of these 4GEE routers with big data package. I read the chats relating to boosting the signal using an aerial. I thought I read somewhere else that they come with a five metre cable but if you have amything much longer then this slows down the router’s effective operating speed. Is this nonsence or fact and if the latter any info would be appreciated! . I live in a rambling victorian house so would want to have the external antenna/s up high, there would then be quite a long run of cable to connect the router which I would want to place as centrally as possible in the house. I have Devolos but they are not so great in my rambling old shack, so router placement matters. Hope that makessense, all advice very welcome.

5 REPLIES 5
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: 4GEE Router aerial related question.

Firstly hello and welcome to the Community. 

Longer cables will attenuate (weaken) the 4G signal which may reduce performance. However, the extent of this will depend on the length, quality and connectors of the additional cable.

Contributor

Thanks Peter..... this may be a thick follow up question but here goes anyway. From what I have read the longer the cable between my aerial and my router then the slower the data transmission speed, so I get that. So that then means I need to place my router as near as possible to my external aerial. Got it. Now I need to get the data on the last leg of the journey to my TV which is way out of range of my now superfast router. My develos don’t make the grade because the data is routed via my old and rather cranky electrical system. I also heard that wireless extenders have their own issues. So I could run a Pussycat 4 cable from my router to another one that is in range of my tv. Question is, would the long cat4 cable also simply slow the signal down in the same way, or is there something mystical about cat4 cables that makes them better at taking a signal from one place to another? I ask this because I saw some bloke on youtube who gave the impression that sending a signal from one end of the house to the other by cat4 is an efficient means if one can be bothered will the implementation hassle of doing so.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Griceypants,

I wouldn't expect you to see any significant speed loss when using a wired Ethernet connection.

Thanks

James

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hello @Griceypants, Ethernet connections maintain their rated speed usually up to 100m. I've had no trouble with Cat5/5e cable doing 1000mbps at 100m.

Contributor

Many thanks, that helps !

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.