by Peter_O Contributor
Contributor

4GEE Router Firmware Version

Good Morning

Could someone confirm what the latest firmware revision is for the 4GEE Router (HH70VB)?

Mine is showing HH70_E1_02.00_19

I have an email from EE back in June claiming a later version is available. I have never been able to download this update. Unit has been power cycled, reset, full master reset, danced around etc...

Cheers

Peter

17 REPLIES 17
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: 4GEE Router Firmware Version

Hi @Peter_O

What happens when you check for updates?:

1. Log into the Connection Manager by entering 192.168.1.1 in your website browser
  2. Login in using your username and password, if you haven’t login in before use the password Admin.
  3. Click on device settings
  4. Click on online updates and then "check for updates"
  5. The latest software version will then be displayed and available for download. This may take a few minutes.

Thanks

Chris

by Peter_O Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chris

I get a message telling me my software is up to date. Hence the question about what the current released firmware version is?

Cheers

Peter

by

There is a later software update, @Peter_O.

We're aware of a small number of customers that have had problems receiving it and are working to get that resolved as soon as possible.

If you're experiencing problems with your service, I recommend getting in touch with technical support team.

Chris

by Peter_O Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chris

Thanks, but I think this discussion is now somewhat circular in nature. I have had three conversations with technical support. They can't even confirm firmware versions. The advice I received yesterday/confirmed today, suggested I take my router back to a local EE shop for replacement/repair.

Best Wishes.

Peter

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That's unlikely to change anything. Hardware on sale in shops is usually behind the curve & the 1st thing they do upon power up is try & update themselves. It'll then be in the same position as your current device.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Peter_O Contributor
Contributor

Well, that may be correct. However, this is the next step in the problem resolution approach. If/when it proves to be pointless, I can escalate further.

Cheers

Peter

by

Morning @Peter_O

Thanks for coming back to us.

If you speak to our technical support team they will be able to help you further.

Let us know how you get on.

Leanne.

by Peter_O Contributor
Contributor

Good Morning @Leanne_T

Many thanks for the advice, however, I have now had three conversations with your technical support team. Their advice is to take it back to an EE shop and request a replacement under warranty.

In none of my three conversations, nor via the community, has anyone yet been able to confirm the actual version  of firmware I should be running?

Keeping router firmware up to date is the absolute minimum effort that should be expected in terms of cybersecurity. Given that many users will not actively persue these updates it is worrying that there are likely to be a number of these devices out there running on old firmware. For the most part, most people will be blissfully unaware of this issue.

Best Wishes

Peter

by

Hi @Peter_O

If an update is not showing available and you're experiencing problems with your service as @Christopher_G has advised we will need to get this looked into.

Let us know how you get on after visiting an EE store.

Leanne.

by Peter_O Contributor
Contributor

Well. That was all a complete waste of time and appalling customer service.

Visited the local EE store who refused point blank to supply a spare unit. Their "excuse" was that their stock is entirely separate to the online stock from which my unit was supplied.

No amount of cajoling or persuasion that whatever EE's internal process issues that this was just poor customer service would change their mind. I had, in their words, been incorrectly advised by the onlibe/phone customer service and must take the matter up with them 

To say I am unimpressed would be an understatement. If anyone has contacts at EE who can pick this one up from a customer perspective, I'd appreciate an introduction.

Cheers

Peter

by

Hi @Peter_O

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

I've sent you a private message looking for some more information.

Please take a look and get back to me.

Chris

by Peter_O Contributor
Contributor

Hui @Christopher_G

Many thanks for the offline assistance and introduction. A replacement router should be arriving tomorrow. Let's see if this helps or it's a more widespread issue with firmare updates. Will post once installed/updated.

Cheers

Peter

by

Great news, @Peter_O

Let us know how you get on with the replacement router. 🙂

Chris

by Peter_O Contributor
Contributor

Good Evening @Christopher_G

Rwplacement router arrived, installed, same issue ;-(

The new router is on the same firmware version as my previous device - HH70_E1_02.00_19. Clicking on update results in a message telling me that my software is up to date.

Any thoughts what I should do with my spare 4GEE outer? 😉

Cheers

Peter

by

Hi @Peter_O

We're aware of a small number of customers that have had problems receiving the latest software version and are working to get that resolved as soon as possible.

Other than not being on the latest software, is there a problem with the device? Are you able to connect to the internet and use it normally?

Chris

by GR33User Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I too am in exactly this same position having received yet another email to inform me to update.

Current version is HH70_E1_02.00_19 and my email says to update to version 14.2 !?

Reboot - no joy, Reset - no joy.

I am awaiting a call back having spoken to a 2nd line engineer who is seeking further advice and should be confirming the actual latest firmware version.

by Peter_O Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chris

100% of these routers that I am aware of (that's four in total) cannot be upgraded with the latest firmware. 100% doesn't seem like a "small number" to me. That said, of the four I am aware of three of them were supplied within a few weeks of each other. I guess that makes it possible that there's a production batch with the issue?

Keeping router firmware up to date is pretty much the minumum that should be expected. It would be good therefore if EE would publish data showing the real scale of the issue. I guess that would be somewhere between your "small number" and my "100% failure rate"?

Cheers

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.