by Nicneo Investigator
Investigator

4GEE Router Extenal Antenna Query

Hello Everyone,

I have just purchased the latest 4GEE Router with a 200GB per month data plan.  I live in a remote ish of Cumbria and would like to take advantage of the LTE antenna ports to increase my 4G reception.  I’ve contacted EE and they dont sell the antennas, they also cant tell me which one are compatible.  The instruction booklet is equally unhelpful.

I know the antenna connectors can be different sizes etc, so if anyone could let me know which external antenna’s I should purchase, I’d be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance.

Best regards,

Nic

10 REPLIES 10
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: 4GEE Router Extenal Antenna Query

The new home router has a pair of SMA connectors. Solwise sell a variety of antennas. The 4G-XPOL-A0001 I have come across being used before. Other retailers also sell antennas with SMA antennas that operate on EE's LTE bands (800, 1800, 2600 [urban]) that may be available for less money but your mileage may vary. 

by Nicneo Investigator
Investigator

Hi Peter,

Thanks so much for your response, its much appreciated.

I've made a note of the 4G-XPOL-A0001, are you able to point me in the direction of an indoor antenna as well ?

Once again, thanks very much for helping me.

Berst regards,

Nic.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I wouldn't really recommend a separate antenna used internally because the massive performance gain comes from using an antenna outside. 

by Magsallen Investigator
Investigator

I have a related question!  I’m moving to a rural setting in warwickshire where the 4G coverage should be good according to EE.

should I just buy the router / plan and see?  There isn’t any real info on EE site yet re the new EE external antenna.  I can’t tell if likely to be needed

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Magsallen,

Welcome to the EE Community.

If the coverage checker shows good indoor coverage, you may not need an external antenna.

To see if you would benefit from the external antenna, please contact our dedicated team on 0800 079 0131.

Thanks

James

by Brillzerz
Visitor

HI 

I'm thinking of getting EE bright box but I was wondering if it connects to the XPOL-A0001. Plz let me know

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The EE Bright Box is a landline broadband device; it does not do mobile broadband.

As a result of recent developments, if you are looking for a 4G Home Broadband Solution, I would recommend: the 4GEE Router with EE antenna (£100).

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Brillzerz

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. 🙂

I see @Peter_C has answered you on this already.

Let us know if you have any more questions. 

Chris 🙂

by Brotherpug Investigator
Investigator

I read the post about which antennae might be suitable and I'm grateful someone has an answer. If I purchase one that doesn't work is it all down to my responsibility?

From the user manual...

"2.3 Optional: Installing the external antennae
In areas with poor signal reception, connect external antennae to the
two ports labelled 'LTE' to improve signal reception.
Warning:
Before installing the external antennae, ensure that your 4GEE Router is
powered off and disconnected from the power outlet.
The external antennae must be installed by a qualified technician.
Use antennae recommended by EE Ltd. only."

So, which antennae are recommended by EE Ltd?
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Brotherpug  Yes it’s your responsibility if the one you choose doesn’t work but you could try calling customer services about what EE recommendations as this would work. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.